Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

bfausti

Power Bi Enterprise Gateway Memory Usage

It seems that the Enterprise Gateway service is a memory hog and is dramatically slowing our production server down. Does anyone know if it is possible to limit it's memory usage similiar to the way you can restrict MSSQL memory usage?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
edhans
Super User
Super User

Adjust gateway performance based on server CPU | Microsoft Docs has info on this, but your gateway should not be on the production SQL server. That server should dedicate 100% of resources to Power BI.

The gateway should be on a separate machine (not a domain controller) where memory is available or even a beefy workstation. See On-premises data gateway sizing - Power BI | Microsoft Docs for sizing recommendations.

But pull it off of the database server. That will slow the server down, or radically slow the report refreshes down, or both.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

View solution in original post

Ok. I'll mark that as a solution. But remember that a gateway does not need to be on a server. Buy a cheap desktop with 16-32GB of RAM, install Windows 10 on it, install the gateway and call it a day.

Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
edhans
Super User
Super User

Adjust gateway performance based on server CPU | Microsoft Docs has info on this, but your gateway should not be on the production SQL server. That server should dedicate 100% of resources to Power BI.

The gateway should be on a separate machine (not a domain controller) where memory is available or even a beefy workstation. See On-premises data gateway sizing - Power BI | Microsoft Docs for sizing recommendations.

But pull it off of the database server. That will slow the server down, or radically slow the report refreshes down, or both.

Thanks for your response.

But, we do not have another machine where we can put the gateway on to. We are small organisation and only running a VPS which is hosted with a third party provider. Basically, we have one server running IIS, MSSQL and PowerBi.

I'll review the link you provided on adjusting gateway performance, hopefully that helps.

Ok. I'll mark that as a solution. But remember that a gateway does not need to be on a server. Buy a cheap desktop with 16-32GB of RAM, install Windows 10 on it, install the gateway and call it a day.

Ok thanks Edhans, so the gateway can be on any machine on any network right?

Yes, with the following caveats:

1. It cannot be on a Domain Controller
  2. It should not be on a database server (for reasons you have seen)
  3. It must have access to the database, so if it is on a separate network, it must have access to the database server via VPN or however you do it.
  4. Needs to be Windows 10 or later, or I think Windows Server 2012 or later. Windows 7 and Server 2008 are no longer supported.
  5. You need an up to date version of the .NET framework, but the installer will tell you if it isn't high enough when installing.
  6. It should be on a machine that is on 24/7 so laptops are a bad idea. Disable sleep mode if it is a workstation.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.

February 2024 Update Carousel

Power BI Monthly Update - February 2024

Check out the February 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Fabric Career Hub

Microsoft Fabric Career Hub

Explore career paths and learn resources in Fabric.

Fabric Partner Community

Microsoft Fabric Partner Community

Engage with the Fabric engineering team, hear of product updates, business opportunities, and resources in the Fabric Partner Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors