Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Sivanesan
Regular Visitor

Power BI refresh error : Dedicated SQL Pool: Execution Timeout Expired.

Hi Everyone

I am getting below error while refreshing one of my dashboard(For a single view) in both service and Dekstop. Datasource is Dedicated SQL Pool.

Data source error: [ValidateMarkupTags][ccon]DataSource.Error: Microsoft SQL: [ccon]Execution Timeout Expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.[/ccon]. DataSourceKind = [ccon]SQL[/ccon]. DataSourcePath = [ccon]XXXXXXXXX[/ccon]. Message = [ccon]Execution Timeout Expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.[/ccon]. ErrorCode = [ccon]-2146232060[/ccon]. Number = [ccon]-2[/ccon]. Class = [ccon]11[/ccon]. State = [ccon]0[/ccon]. [/ccon]. The exception was raised by the IDataReader interface. Please review the error message and provider documentation for further information and corrective action. 

When I tried to execute the select query directly in the database using SSMS it runs for more than 20 mins and throws below error.

A transport-level error has occurred when receiving results from the server. (provider: TCP Provider, error: 0 - The semaphore timeout period has expired.)

How should I approach this. As this is a Azure managed service I can't get deep into troubleshooting.

Thanks

1 REPLY 1
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. By default the SQL Server or SQL sources have a timeout of 10 minutes. So if your query is taking longer, you need to increase that value or check if you can optimize the response from the BD.

In order to increase the timeout you can read the power query source step function like: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/powerquery-m/sql-database

The commandTimeout is the key parameter. If I'm correct, it's something like this:

Sql.Database(server as text, database as text, [CommandTimeout = #duration(0,0,30,0)] )

Duration it's configured for 30 minutes in that example.

I hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors