Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

dhampshire
Employee
Employee

Power BI Semantic model Refresh Bizarre Behavior

I have a Service model and report saved on OneDrive and Sharepoint.  I also have a Power BI workspace they're published to.  When I make a change to the Service model locally, I save and publish.  The .pbix file saved to OneDrive and Sharepoint both reflect those chnages...everytime, yet when navigating to the Power Bi workspace, the semantic model does not reflect certain changes.  What is bizarre is that the pop up link reflects the changes, but sometime later the changes are reverted when no refresh has happended. powerbilink.png  

I have a refresh scheduled daily.

I don't see any errors on the refresh.

I've tried:

clearing my browser cache

auto and manual refreshes

deleting the Service model and report from the workspace and republishing

turning caching off

What am I missing here? This feels like really bizarre behavior.  Can provide more detail if needed.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
dhampshire
Employee
Employee

RESOLVED.

This issue was happening on refresh (manual or scheduled).  For a reason I haven't yet determined, when the data in a table was updated via refresh (in service not locally), it was including "(Blank)" values.  I had a DAX expression that was filtering for empty strings "".  So the DAX expression was producing incorrect values when the semantic model was refreshed in the service.  Locally, this wasn't happening for some reason during refresh. 

Adding a DAX expression that filtered for both "(Blank)" and "" mitigated the issue.  It's not clear to me why refresh locally and via the service were producing different results.    

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
dhampshire
Employee
Employee

RESOLVED.

This issue was happening on refresh (manual or scheduled).  For a reason I haven't yet determined, when the data in a table was updated via refresh (in service not locally), it was including "(Blank)" values.  I had a DAX expression that was filtering for empty strings "".  So the DAX expression was producing incorrect values when the semantic model was refreshed in the service.  Locally, this wasn't happening for some reason during refresh. 

Adding a DAX expression that filtered for both "(Blank)" and "" mitigated the issue.  It's not clear to me why refresh locally and via the service were producing different results.    

dhampshire
Employee
Employee

Other things I've tried:

Creating a new .pbix file (original file saved with different name) and uploading to same workspace,

Deleted everything from Power BI service and uploaded .pbix file to Power BI service via my OneDrive,

Deleted everything from Power BI service and published via the desktop Power BI,

Deleted table in .pbix and re-created table and data sources from scratch

Same result, after publishing my changes, the table in the semantic model on the Power BI service, OneDrive, and Sharepoint show the correct data.  After a refresh on the Power BI service, the changes remain on OneDrive and Sharepoint but they are gone from Power BI semantic model. 

This is baffling. 

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @dhampshire 

Have you made sure that you've clicked on the reset to default button?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

@GilbertQ I'm not sure which button you're referring.  On the report itself? If so, I've ensured all filters and slicers are cleared.  

I can clearly see the semantic model on the Power BI service is different from what I have locally.  Row by row I can see the data is different.  So it's not a matter of the report reflecting some filter.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors