Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

panosmir
Advocate I
Advocate I

Power BI react client embed Azure maps

Hello everyone,

It seems that the Power BI react client cannot display Azure maps anymore. Is it something changed silently by Microsoft? In more detail, I found that the issue lies in the following request, done by the powerbi-client itself. The report is embedded correctly and only the Azure Maps visual is not shown. Everything is enabled (tenant setting for Azure Maps and in Power BI desktop the Preview features were enabled when publishing the report). Below is a screenshot from the AzureMapToken request. As you can see the "authorization" header is wrong. It contains the embed token instead of "Bearer {access token}".

panosmir_0-1683560677886.png

For comparison the same request from Power BI service contains the correct value:

panosmir_1-1683560962471.png

For reference: powerbi-client 

PS. The Azure Maps visuals were working as expected a couple of weeks ago.

Any ideas? It seems to be a Microsoft issue. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yanjiang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @panosmir ,

Although Azure maps happened to work for App Owns Data embed in preview, the documentation has always clarified that we do not officially support Azure maps for apps owns embed yet. See the screenshot below.

Get started with Azure Maps Power BI visual - Microsoft Azure Maps | Microsoft Learn

vyanjiangmsft_1-1684980258281.png

We are working on ways to support this in the future.

Best regards,

Community Support Team_yanjiang

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26
AFI
Frequent Visitor

Same problem here. Embedding still requires the use of legacy maps rather than Azure maps. When I forget to not click convert on the Azure maps popup button, I have to go back and change all the maps again. Can be frustrating. Would be good get Azure maps embedding function working as I do prefer it to the legacy field map. 

u02cm62
Helper V
Helper V

It's now Nov 2023, any update to this working? Azure Maps with Power BI Embedded?  What's the date when this will work?  We absolutely need this.

FritzVPL
Advocate II
Advocate II

This certainly is disappointing. But what is even more annoying is that I now have to see "CONVERT OVER TO AZURE MAPS" popup every time I open a PBI file likely another 500 times until you guys deliver this for embedding. I feel as an embedded user we are always on the back burner of the developers minds. Why force this down our throat when we can't use it. Please get rid of the popup.

v-yanjiang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @panosmir ,

Although Azure maps happened to work for App Owns Data embed in preview, the documentation has always clarified that we do not officially support Azure maps for apps owns embed yet. See the screenshot below.

Get started with Azure Maps Power BI visual - Microsoft Azure Maps | Microsoft Learn

vyanjiangmsft_1-1684980258281.png

We are working on ways to support this in the future.

Best regards,

This appears to be working again for Power BI Embedded. 

It still isn't working on my end. You're not viewing it in the service are you?

Are there plans to add that functionality back in? From the PBI May 2023 release notes, you've announced that we're running out of time/options for mapping. We need 'Embedded' to work.

I received a pop up yesterday in Power BI desktop with the option to convert my basic maps to azure maps and that existing maps will be automatically converted within the year.  Does that mean we will have to use third party mapping visuals if we want maps in reports in PBI Embedded? Or will Azure Maps be enabled in PBI Embedded before then?

You used to support this in the present!

apowerbi123

We have observed the same issue (incorrect header authorization). It works for us in Power BI but not when embedded and the authorization is "EmbedToken" not "Bearer". The issue started for us (UK South) around 12th May on this call:

https://wabi-uk-south-c-primary-redirect.analysis.windows.net/metadata/v202212/azureMapToken

We are using .net/Javascript to embed.

Any news?

Update from the ticket we created with MS Support

Have some unfortunately bad news to share. Per Product Team, Azure Maps visual has been shifted from preview to production. Part of this change is the different authentication mode for Azure Maps.  What this entails is that embedding reports with this visual are no longer supported and can only be used under some limitations. They supplied the following link

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-maps/power-bi-visual-get-started#considerations-and-li...

We asked for a workaround, and they replied with this: 

There is no workaround for embedding the Azure Maps visuals at this time. You could use the regular map visual or the ArcGIS visual to get some of this functionality back. See the following pieces of documentation for more details:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/visuals/power-bi-map-tips-and-tricks

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/visuals/power-bi-visualizations-arcgis

If anyone finds a fast way to implement something that can replace the functionality, please report back.  Thanks. 

It's interesting that they suggested the ArcGIS visual when that is also blocked for embedded maps. This is incredibly frustrating; the ability to add geojson reference layers was very valuable for us. 

Titusdata
Regular Visitor

Anyone seeing a fix yet? 

v-yanjiang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @panosmir ,

Do you mean Azure maps visual disappeared in Power BI Embed for customer app? If so, the issue is reported internally, please be patient for fix. If there is any progress, I will update here.

Best regards,

it's been since May 2023 now, so is there any update as to when even approximately best guess?  2023?  2024? first half, 2nd half?  App Owns Data...side.

Same issue here, hope to solve this in the future.

Hello, yes I mean the azure maps visual. We are using service principal for authentication and power bi react client in order to embed the reports.

fabionascimento

Same problem over here too.

hibou1

Still the same here, it would be nice someone to give as a proper reply with an explanation of the reason and a proper solution or workaround  

Hibou

Same issue here as well. We noticed it stopped working at the 4th, hope it will be fixed soon

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors