Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sesilver
Frequent Visitor

Power BI Service Refresh Fail - SharePoint: Request failed, DataSource.Error; (works from HardDrive)

I'm having difficulty refreshing a data file through the Power BI Service due to a constant failure with pulling data from one particular Excel file stored on my OneDrive; the refresh doesn't work either manually or scheduled. 

The refresh works though in Power BI Desktop after I refresh the previews of all the tables in Power Query. Furthermore, the online service does work if I try to pull data from a direct copy of that same Excel file from my hard drive instead via an On-Premises Data Gateway; since the copy that keeps failing is stored on the cloud though, I wasn't expecting it to be a gateway issue. 

Based on other posts, I've already tried clearing and re-entering the permissions for each data source. I've also tried moving the file to different locations on my OneDrive and SharePoint to no avail; I should note that I'm successfully pulling data from other Excel files that are stored in the same directory as the failing Excel file. 

The online service only provides the following error below, so I don't know how to narrow it down to something particular with the file. Again, since the online refresh works when that very same file is pulled from my hard drive, I don't know if it's the file's contents that are what's causing the error.

Has anyone encountered this issue before with accessing files from cloud services?

Underlying error code: -2147467259
Underlying error message: SharePoint: Request failed: https://<company>-my.sharepoint.com/personal/<folder-path>/Expense Log_xlsm/_api/contextinfo
DM_ErrorDetailNameCode_UnderlyingHResult: -2147467259
Microsoft.Data.Mashup.ValueError.DataSourceKind: SharePoint
Microsoft.Data.Mashup.ValueError.DataSourcePath: https://<company>-my.sharepoint.com/personal/<folder-path>/Expense%20Log_xlsm/_api/contextinfo
Microsoft.Data.Mashup.ValueError.Reason: DataSource.Error
Cluster URI: WABI-US-NORTH-CENTRAL-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Activity ID: 6eb10a26-11ef-4c23-b2d3-3ff55bcaf5a5
Time: 2020-12-17 23:11:31Z

-----------

EDIT/UPDATE - I've slowly walked through the Power Query steps and identified which step is causing the problem. The issue stems from where I try to perform a LEFTJOIN of a merged table from the Excel file with a table from a MySQL database. Power BI service is accessing the MySQL database through the On-Premise Gateway I setup. Since accessing the Excel file found my hard originally made use of that same gateway, I’m guessing that’s why there wasn’t an issue before. 

After some tinkering, I managed to fix the issue after reading this Topic Post

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
sesilver
Frequent Visitor

I've slowly walked through the Power Query steps and identified which step wascausing the problem. The issue stemmed from where I was trying to perform a LEFTJOIN of a merged table from the Excel file with a table from a MySQL database, which was being accessed through an On-Premise Gateway I setup. Originally since I was accessing the Excel file found my hard through that same gateway, that’s probably why there wasn’t an issue before. 

After some tinkering, I managed to fix the issue after reading this Topic Post; Under Gateway Cluster Settings, select Allow user's cloud data sources to refresh through this gateway cluster > Apply

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
sesilver
Frequent Visitor

I've slowly walked through the Power Query steps and identified which step wascausing the problem. The issue stemmed from where I was trying to perform a LEFTJOIN of a merged table from the Excel file with a table from a MySQL database, which was being accessed through an On-Premise Gateway I setup. Originally since I was accessing the Excel file found my hard through that same gateway, that’s probably why there wasn’t an issue before. 

After some tinkering, I managed to fix the issue after reading this Topic Post; Under Gateway Cluster Settings, select Allow user's cloud data sources to refresh through this gateway cluster > Apply

collinq
Super User
Super User

HI @sesilver ,

Well done on finding the solution.  Can you mark your post as solved so that we can use the information in the future if needed and so that folks don't try to give you answers when you already have them.  🙂  Thanks.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors