Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI Dataflow -- Error when adding to gateway

Hi

I have a power Bi dataflow that is working correctly ( It is connected to 2 excel files in sharepoint).

No issues with refreshes, I can setup auto refresh and any manual refresh also works with the dataflow.

I have one report that is connected to multiple sources including this dataflow (Teradata/Excel/Dataflow).

This report I can't setup gateway refreshes because of this error message:

Extension {"extensionDataSourceKind":"PowerBI","ExtensionDataSourcePath":"PowerBI"}

I tried creating a new dataflow to see if somehow the original one was corrupted but I got the same error message using a test powerbi report only connected to the dataflow.

Any ideas or recommendations?

image.pngimage.pngimage.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Lionel.

I figured out last friday what was the issue.

The gateway is managed by IT, and they didn't have the checkbox to allow cloud sources selected, that is why I couldn't refresh or schedulle.

After they selected the checkbox the problem was solved.

I don't have access to that configuration so I couldn't figure out myself.

Thanks for all the help 🙂

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
v-lionel-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

As tested, this problem does exist. When dataflow is used as a data source, we cannot configure a gateway for it.

nn9.PNG

This should be normal, because when dataflow is used as a data source, we don't need to configure a gateway for it. And after testing, I found that it can be refreshed successfully.

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-lionel-msft 

The dataflow I have no problems refreshing but the report using the dataflow as a source cannot be refreshed.

When trying to map to the gateway I can't click apply to map the other sources and because of that  I cannot schedule a refresh( see image below), even manual refreshes don't run, see the error mesage below.

If this is a know issue how can I request a fix for it?

image.pngimage.png

Hi @Anonymous ,

aa8.PNG

1. We really can not configure the gateway for dataflow in the dataset, and there is no need to configure it.

2. If you have installed the standard version of the gateway, there is no need to install a personal version of the gateway.

Types of gateways 

That is, these two tips will not affect your refresh operation.

aa9.PNG

aa10.PNG

“...but the report using the dataflow as a source cannot be refreshed.”

So I feel very strange that you cannot refresh the dataset containing dataflow. Could you show your refresh history and refresh errors?

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-lionel-msft 

Hi Lionel,

You are correct, I am not using a personal gateway, I am using my company gateway.

Image 1-Refresh errors - Manual refresh since I can't schedule it.

Image 2- Since the last on the can't be added to the gateway, I can't press the apply so all other mapped sources won't save.

Image 3- Since I cannot map everything, the scheduled refresh is not available ( it is grayed out).

Image 4 - Yes I can refresh the dataflow with no issues, the problem is any other report using the data flow.

Annotation 2020-05-26 080329.png

InkedAnnotation 2020-05-26 081157_LI.jpg

Annotation 2020-05-26 081238.png

Annotation 2020-05-26 081849.png

Hi @Anonymous ,

As you can see, my dataset contains a dataflow and a local file. After I configure the gateway for the local file, it can be refreshed normally.

So this problem is not caused by the dataflow, but by other data sources in the dataset. Please check whether the gateways of other data sources are configured correctly or whether there is an error in the data source. 

Once I deleted the local file in this dataset by mistake, a problem like yours happened.

ff11.PNG

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Lionel.

I figured out last friday what was the issue.

The gateway is managed by IT, and they didn't have the checkbox to allow cloud sources selected, that is why I couldn't refresh or schedulle.

After they selected the checkbox the problem was solved.

I don't have access to that configuration so I couldn't figure out myself.

Thanks for all the help 🙂

v-lionel-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Please refer to the cases.

dataflows: Extension("extensionDataSourceKind":"PowerBI" cannot be added to gateway 

Gateway Error - Cannot be added to gateway 

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Lionel,

Thanks, I tried recreating before posting the question here and had no luck.

Also tried loading with the "include in refresh" disabled.

any other ideas?

Thanks 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors