Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Nepal101
Helper III
Helper III

Power Automate - to using Power BI report and export the report in excel and send it out through ema

Hello Everyone I am new to this, want to know if this is possible. 
When I  used the excel format value under export to file for Power BI Reports I got an error. Can you please tell me if there is a way to use the report from one of the workspace export in excel and send it to the user via email? 

Nepal101_0-1666735160644.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-zhangti
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Nepal101 

Power Automate only supported export the file as PDF, PPTX or PNG format, not support CSV or XLSX file:

vzhangti_0-1666749673862.png

Export and email a report with Power Automate - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Power BI - Connectors | Microsoft Learn

But you can try the subscription feature to send Excel as an attachment message to users.

Unlike subscriptions for dashboards or Power BI reports, your subscription contains an attachment of the entire report output. The following attachment types are supported: PDF, PowerPoint presentation (PPTX), Excel Workbook (XLSX), Word Document (DOCX), CSV file, and XML.

However that email cannot be sent to an email address that has a Free licence or does not have a licence, you'll get the error message "Free users or groups can only be subscribed to reports or dashboards backed by Premium capacity: " when you try and create the subscription, unless the organisation has a Premium Capacity licence and the report is on a Premium Capacity workspace.

Power BI Premium Per User - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Email subscriptions for reports and dashboards in the Power BI service - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Charlotte

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Hello, I have a similar requirement where I need to export the .pbix file and send it via email. Is there a way that we could do it with Power Automate?

vannda21
Helper I
Helper I

Hello @Nepal101 , Here is my solution used for daily export data from Power BI to excel file as a CSV file 

1. Run a query against the dataset  ( query data base on our requirement by using DAX )
2. Create it as a CSV table 

3. Create an Excel file use extension .csv

you can check the picture below
2022-11-01 15_12_15-Edit your flow _ Power Automate.png

@vannda21 
how can I export it in an excel file instead of CSV?

Nepal101
Helper III
Helper III

Thank you for the reply. 
When you say  I can use the subscription feature to send excel as an attachment message to users when I checked out the subscription feature I don't see the excel file feature. Even though, the workspace is at premium capacity.

Nepal101_0-1666796094076.png
Please advise 
I acknowledge that when I use the paginated report I am able to send out the report via excel. 
Want to know if using Power Bi report if this feature of creating an excel file and sending it out via email is possible. 
Thank you 

Hi, @Nepal101 

I'm afraid not. Exporting data to an Excel file requires manual operation, please check this link for the operation steps. Export data from a Power BI visualization - Power BI | Microsoft Learn
After exporting, the file is downloaded locally and cannot be automatically mailed to users.

Best Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Nepal101
Helper III
Helper III

Thank you for the reply. 
When you say using the subscription feature to send excel as an attachment, I don't see the attachment as excel unless you create a paginated report is that correct? I have that report created in a premium capacity workspace but still, I don't see attachment type XLSX. 

Nepal101_0-1666794906476.png

v-zhangti
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Nepal101 

Power Automate only supported export the file as PDF, PPTX or PNG format, not support CSV or XLSX file:

vzhangti_0-1666749673862.png

Export and email a report with Power Automate - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Power BI - Connectors | Microsoft Learn

But you can try the subscription feature to send Excel as an attachment message to users.

Unlike subscriptions for dashboards or Power BI reports, your subscription contains an attachment of the entire report output. The following attachment types are supported: PDF, PowerPoint presentation (PPTX), Excel Workbook (XLSX), Word Document (DOCX), CSV file, and XML.

However that email cannot be sent to an email address that has a Free licence or does not have a licence, you'll get the error message "Free users or groups can only be subscribed to reports or dashboards backed by Premium capacity: " when you try and create the subscription, unless the organisation has a Premium Capacity licence and the report is on a Premium Capacity workspace.

Power BI Premium Per User - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Email subscriptions for reports and dashboards in the Power BI service - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Best Regards,

is .docx is still not supported on Power Automate's export to file for power bi reports?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors