Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PieterHMS

PBIX files uploaded from Sharepoint: changes made in PBI service not saved to SP

We are trying to have one version of a .pbix file for a given report by using Sharepoint and OneDrive.

We create the report and dataset in PBI Desktop, then we save/upload the file to Sharepoint. In PBI Service we use Upload from Sharepoint to get this report in our workspace. Right after I do that, I see the little halo/rays next to the report name in the PBI workspace. At this point, when I make a change to the PBIX file using PBI Desktop, it actually updates the report in PBI Service. So far so good.

However, what doesn't work for me is when I make changes in the report in the PBI Service screen, these changes are not saved back to the Sharepoint file. So it seems like a one-way synchronization only.

What am I missing? How is this link between PBI service and Sharepoint supposed to work?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @PieterHMS ,

indeed the synch is oneway - from SharePoint to Power BI Service.

Changes made in the Service will not be saved back to SharePoint.

My recommendation:

1. Upload the pbix to OneDrive
  2. Upload the Pbix to the Power BI Service
  3. Synch the SharePoint Folder that contains the pbix to your local machine
  4. Update the pbix using Power BI Desktopn

When you save the pbix, the automatic SharePoint synch will "copy" the pbix from your local machine to the SharePoint folder. From here the Power BI Service will update the Report, but this may take a while.

Hopefully, this provides what you are looking for.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

View solution in original post

ChiragGarg2512
Super User
Super User

The PBI service is the end point which is connected to the sharepoint only for data displaying/retrieving purposes. When there is a change in PBI desktop the changes are saved in sharepoint and reflected on service. But the file in service is not connected to sharepoint for saving purposes.

If Git integration is used, there is a way to get two-way synchronisation. Refer to this:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/developer/projects/projects-git

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ChiragGarg2512
Super User
Super User

The PBI service is the end point which is connected to the sharepoint only for data displaying/retrieving purposes. When there is a change in PBI desktop the changes are saved in sharepoint and reflected on service. But the file in service is not connected to sharepoint for saving purposes.

If Git integration is used, there is a way to get two-way synchronisation. Refer to this:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/developer/projects/projects-git

TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @PieterHMS ,

indeed the synch is oneway - from SharePoint to Power BI Service.

Changes made in the Service will not be saved back to SharePoint.

My recommendation:

1. Upload the pbix to OneDrive
  2. Upload the Pbix to the Power BI Service
  3. Synch the SharePoint Folder that contains the pbix to your local machine
  4. Update the pbix using Power BI Desktopn

When you save the pbix, the automatic SharePoint synch will "copy" the pbix from your local machine to the SharePoint folder. From here the Power BI Service will update the Report, but this may take a while.

Hopefully, this provides what you are looking for.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Hello Tom,

I have been using this feature for months, but this year, my reports allocated in the SharePoint library are not automatically updated in Power BI Services. Do you know why?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors