Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

VeenaPrasad
Employee
Employee

PBI Refresh Fails - with error Data source error:The XML for Analysis request timed

Data source error: The XML for Analysis request timed out before it was completed. Timeout value: 18000 sec. 

I already have a Premium per user  set up for the workspace. 

10 REPLIES 10
VeenaPrasad
Employee
Employee

Hi Collinq - Since my dataset is large, refresh takes longer than the set max time - would it be good for me to consider incremental refresh. Please let me know your opinion on this. 

Thanks 

Hey @VeenaPrasad ,

Yes, incremental refresh will definitely help that work for you!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

VeenaPrasad
Employee
Employee

yes I am working on it - Thanks 

collinq
Super User
Super User

HI @VeenaPrasad ,

There could be a few reasons:

You may have exceeded the capacity limit, or the node level limit.  You might have too many reports refreshing simultaneously.  You may need to increase the timeout.  Your data source itself might not be feeding your query fast enough.

Once you check all of those things out you can start the more painful (in my mind) work of breaking up your queries into smaller chunks and run them separately.  Or, you could implement incremental refresh and do that from the beginning with partitions.

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Thanks for quick response please find my question  below for each case you just mention :

1. You may have exceeded the capacity limit or the node level limit – How to check this ??
  2. You might have too many reports refreshing simultaneously – I have only one report in my workspace.
  3. You may need to increase the timeout. – How do I do this ?
  4. Your data source itself might not be feeding your query fast enough -   how to check and remediate.

Hey @VeenaPrasad ,

1.  In the Admin Portal, you can review the Capacity Settings to see the levels that they are set to.  You can also review the Gateway and the setting for it - and (3) that is where the timeout resides.  Also, you can ask your Gateway Administrator to look at the load on the server on both the RAM and the CPU.

2. Well - this means about all reports everywhere, not just your own workspace.  The Premium Capacity is sharing with everybody using it.  You might have many reports running at the same time.

4. That is going to be a question for the person(s) managing your data source.  They need to tell you the throughput.  Or, you can do a Fiddler trace on the network to see the speed.

Proud to be a Datanaut!

are there any information links - on 'how to' for these solutions ??  

Hey @VeenaPrasad ,

Sure, the link for capacity settings is here:

Manage Capacity settings - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

The connections information can be found here:

Add or remove a gateway data source - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Proud to be a Datanaut!

I have Premium per user setting turned on for my Workspace but I am not he Admin and do not have access to Admin Portal .. 

Hey @VeenaPrasad ,

You will need the Administrator to help you out then!

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors