Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

vineetdutt
Advocate I
Advocate I

Oracle Connection - gateway config in service

Hello

I have configured my direct query oracle connection within Power BI Desktop which works correctly. I then published my report to apps.powerbi.com...

When i open my report in apps.pwerbi.com it gives me an error "There is no gateway to access the data source Oracle". I have checked my manage data sources and see my connection in there - it connects and shows that it is online - see picture below.

Does anybody know what I am might be missing to get this connection to work?

Capture.PNG

Thanks

Vineet

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@vineetdutt Direct query is not supported by Personal gateway .

Refer this article -https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Personal-Vs-Enterprise-Gateway/m-p/767443 and please close this thread 🙂

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
vineetdutt
Advocate I
Advocate I

yes, I just figured that out - I installed the standard gateway and set it up - it all works now - thanks for all your input.

v-yueyunzh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi , @vineetdutt 

According to my understanding of the gateway configuration data source and the prerequisites for enabling data refresh, I think that after successfully configuring the gateway data source and determining the online status of the data source, one of the steps you need to do is to go to the settings of the dataset, open "Gateway Connection" and select the gateway and data source "Map to" you configured for the dataset, and then you can click apply, and then you can test whether the data refresh is successful:

vyueyunzhmsft_0-1674442912104.png

If you have any other questions about the specific operation, you can also specifically query the detailed description of the steps in this document:
Configure scheduled refresh - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Thank you for your time and sharing, and thank you for your support and understanding of PowerBI! 

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

at this point I am not seeing the gateway show up at all - as per the first "screen" in  @NewUser777 response below.

NewUser777
Resolver I
Resolver I

Did you sign in the gateway and deployed report ? 

Try signing in the gateway on your machine with the same Powerbi account and then publish it . It should be able to map .

Also it would be worth checking how oracle connection is setup. You may have to ensure your powerbi report also uses similar connection . In oracle they use service name setup and not sure how your setup and gateway setup is.

details of the steps i have done:

1. when i first connected to oracle, power bi desktop showed an error message saying the driver was old and it pointed me to a website to download the updated driver - i downloaded and installed the 64 bit version.

2. After installing it, I still got the same error message that the driver was old and I was unable to make a connection to the my oracle DB.

3. I ran the install again and it created a second directory under my oracle directory "C:\oracle\product\12.2.0\client_1" & "C:\oracle\product\12.2.0_client_2". This still did not fix the error.

3. I then saw on stack overflow a recommedation to fix the issue - i followed it for both of the (client_1 & client2) folders in my oracle install - the connection started to work in power bi desktop - i was able to get data from my oracle db.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/47880625/powerbi-object-reference-not-set-to-an-instance-of-an-o...

4. I then got the error on apps.powerbi.com, so I then tried what you suggested above and went into my on-premise gateway (personal mode) and then published the report again - still get the same error message in apps.powerbi.com

Thank you again for your feedback.

@vineetdutt Are you seeing that there is no  gateway on your dataset setting on Power BI service?

NewUser777_0-1674447700660.png

Note: I faced a similar issue I had to install PowerBI personal  gateway and sign in with Azure ID\POWERBI login same as the tenant and then map the data gateway to fix the issue . For me the gateway for the dataset was not even showing . I also ensured data source credentials matched as in gateway setup .

If you have a gateway configured ,it should show the cluster name below the gateway cluster name 

NewUser777_0-1674449151329.png

Is this the first time you deployed a report using your Azure ad \Powerbi login ? You had no previous report deployments on the Power BI service ?

I am getting the first screen "You don't have any data gateways" - although I have published reports before but they were done under my windows AD account and they were for accessing excel data sources that were located on my network share. 

The "Azure ID\POWERBI login for the tenant" - where can I can find that account? Just as a note, Power BI Pro was not installed by me, so I would appreciate your continued feedback so I can ask my IT admins.

@vineetdutt AzureID \PowerBI login would be your username@domain.com ( example:  Average.Joe@xyz.com)

You have to ensure your Powerbi report also uses similar connection like I have stated in my first post .

Once you publish the report in PowerBi Service you have to map the data gateway if you use data gateways.

Ask the person who setup the gateway if you dont have access to provide you exact connection details (server and database name).

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-gateway-onprem-tshoot#error-report-c...

Error: Report could not access the data source because you do not have access to our data source via an on-premises data gateway.
This error is usually caused by one of the following:

The data source information doesn't match what's in the underlying dataset. The server and database name need to match between the data source defined for the on-premises data gateway and what you supply within Power BI Desktop. If you use an IP address in Power BI Desktop, the data source for the on-premises data gateway needs to use an IP address as well.
There's no data source available on any gateway within your organization. You can configure the data source on a new or existing on-premises data gateway.

please see below...

1. i rechecked my power bi desktop login settings - image 1 below.

2. i compared it to the apps.powerbi.com setup under "manage connections and gateways" to made sure it matched step 1 - it does - image 2 below.

3. Under the "manage Data Sources & Gateway", - I checked that it was online and the manage users had my ID in it - image 3 below.

4. I checked my on-premises (personal) gateway - it seems to be all up, I also republished my report after signing into the gateway again - image 4 below.

5. Under apps.powebi.com -- I checked the dataset and it still does not show my gateway, I also clicked on "recreate Cloud data sources" and that did not work either - image 5 below.

power_bi_desktop.PNGpower_bi_ONLINE.PNGCapture3.PNGCapture.PNGCapture2.PNG

@vineetdutt You need to match what is in the gateway . Check with the person who setup gateway and use the same server and database name in your desktop report.  

Also I dont see Gateway cluster name in your gateways screenshot.

server and database name need to match between the data source defined for the on-premises data gateway 

also forgot to add in my response - I do not have a gateway cluster.

@vineetdutt Direct query is not supported by Personal gateway .

Refer this article -https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Personal-Vs-Enterprise-Gateway/m-p/767443 and please close this thread 🙂

I am the person who installed the gateway on my pc - I used my domain email to sign into it - sorry for making you repeat your feedback but I can't figure out what else to check

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors