Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jhcannon
Frequent Visitor

On Premise Gateway / SQL Server DataFlow

I'm connecting to an on premise gateway on a remote server.  In Manage Gateways, connection succeeds.

I want to create a dataflow from the sql server.  When I try to connect, Power BI throws an "Invalid Credentials" error.  I am using the exact same username/password that is used in the Manage Gateways.  My gut is there is a setting/something easy I'm missing somewhere because I have done this with other servers in the past.  

Any ideas?

4 REPLIES 4
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jhcannon 

Can you provide the screenshots of dataflow configuration and the datasource configuration ?

As you said, when you configure the datasource in Manage gateways, it shows that the connection is successful, then the SQL server and credentials should be correct . Perhaps you can create a dataset whose data source is SQL, and then check whether the refresh is successful in Service, to determine whether it is a SQL problem ?

Best Regard

Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

bcdobbs
Super User
Super User

When you go to create the dataflow in the service mine auto completed the login details:

bcdobbs_0-1639421479956.png

Guessing yours isn't doing that?

Things to check:

1) Is the server name you're enterering matched "exactly" with what's in the gateway connection. eg if gateway is setup with servername.domain and you're entering servername it won't work. I think it might even be case sensitive.

2) In the data source setup in manage gateways are you listed as a user of that data source:

bcdobbs_1-1639421693715.png

Ben Dobbs

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!
Appreciate your Kudos!!

It does autopopulate the credentials.  I've tried leaving as is, I've tried typing them in.  For the server name/database name, I've typed and I've copy pasted.  I thought maybe I had typed something funny when I set up the gateway.  I literally installed the gateway on the server, set the gateway up on Power BI and then imported a dataflow, changed the parameter values to the new server name.  That didn't work so I tried a new dataflow thinking it didn't like the import.  I've tried encrypted/not encrypted.  I've even tried doing it in a browser on the server itself.  I can log in to SQL management studio with the credentials I'm using so I know they're good.  I've checked remote connections - that's good.  

That's odd. If you have SSMS installed you probably also have sql server profiler installed? If so start a trace on your sql server and then try and connect your data flow. You should hopefully see some activity and a login attempt. Might give some clue.

Other thing to check is the logging in the on premise gateway client.

Ben Dobbs

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!
Appreciate your Kudos!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors