Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Jacob_Li
Frequent Visitor

[Need Help] Problems on adding Google analytics to data gateway

Hi, everyone,

This is my first post in this community. Recently I added Google analytics as a data source in an existing dataset. But I found that I am not able to add it to the gateway, and I did not find a corresponding data source when creating a new data source in the configuration of the on-premise data gateway.

Google Anlytics cannot be added to gateway 

And the post above also talked about the same problem, but I did not figure out how could I schedule the refresh with part of the data is imported via Google Analytics.

Jacob_Li_0-1649083298456.png

Thanks in advance if anyone have gone through this before could share your solution or thoughts on this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Jacob_Li
Frequent Visitor

Sorry, I figured it out myself, no need to include Google Analytics in the data gateway. I spent two hours on it and installed on-premises gateway personal mode... Turns out it was a waste of time.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
heloise
Frequent Visitor

Hi everyone! 

I have the same issue; I'm using a gateway built by my IT so that I can have data refreshed everyday during the night automatically (otherwise I needed my computer to be on and connected to the company's network). 

Since I've added Google analytics as a data from PBI desktop, the data doesn't refresh anymore (it's working if I do it on desktop, but after publishing, I always get an error message anyway). 

The error message says: an error occured while treating the data of the dataset (I'm translating here from French).

{"error":{"code":"DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_InvalidMashupConnectionString","pbi.error":{"code":"DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_InvalidMashupConnectionString","parameters":{},"details":[],"exceptionCulprit":1}}} Table: Google Conversions (GA4).

When I check the data of the dataset on PBI Service, the only issue there is is "Google analytics > impossible to add to gateway":

heloise_0-1692191549560.png

And since Google analytics is the source for the Google Conversions (GA4) table, I assume it's connected?

I've checked the link that you snet @v-kkf-msft : Merge or append on-premises and cloud data sources 

>But my gateway already allows "user's cloud data sources to refresh through this gateway cluster". 

When I try to add a new connexion source (in local I assume, as it says "You don't need to add the cloud data sources here.", Google analytics is not listed:

heloise_1-1692191887385.png

heloise_2-1692192085729.png

So I'm quite lost...

Thanks for your help!

>Update on that; it seems the problem comes from one table only (although I set up several Google Analytics tables); from what I have tested, the problem occurs once I merge the Analytics table with data a table that is saved in my onedrive (and thus goes through the gateway). 

It's silly; the data from the 2nd table is also from GA, it's conversion data, but PBI doesn't allow me to load that data as I have an accent in the conversion name (and I haven't figured out how to change the conversion name all the while keeping the past data).

I guess it becomes a mixed table with two different sources; cloud and gateway and here comes the bug. 

I may try to see if:

1- I can pull out the 2nde table from the gateway (as it's only on onedrive)

2- or if it doesn't work, I put it on Google sheets

Jacob_Li
Frequent Visitor

Sorry, I figured it out myself, no need to include Google Analytics in the data gateway. I spent two hours on it and installed on-premises gateway personal mode... Turns out it was a waste of time.

Hi @Jacob_Li ,

You are right. When the dataset contains both local and cloud sources, we need to enable the "Allow user's cloud data sources to refresh through this gateway cluster" option. Then add the local data source to the gateway and configure the cloud source under Data source credentials.

For more information, please refer to: Merge or append on-premises and cloud data sources 

Since your problem has been solved, please mark your reply as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,
Winniz

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors