Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mjbernier
Advocate I
Advocate I

Named Users unable to see Gateway configured in DMZ

For security purposes, Our InfoSec group required us to implement both the Data Gateway application server and a SQL database server in a DMZ outside our corporate domain. Selected corporate data will be pushed out to the SQL server via SSIS, and made available to refresh published reports via the Gateway. I'm the Gateway Administrator. We've been successful in using SSIS to move sample data to the SQL server in the DMZ, creating a Data Source entry on the Gateway to the sample data, and assigning permission to specific named users to that data source. So far, so good.

However, when one of those named users develops a report using Desktop and publishes it to the service, and then wants to change the Datasets setting in the report to use the Gateway, nothing is displayed for them under Gateway Connection; i.e. there is no available data gateway for them to select from. 

As part of my troubleshooting, I obtained a copy of the sample report and published it to my workspace. When I tried changing the Datasets setting, I did see the Gateway as available. On a hunch, I made one of those report developers a Gateway Admin like myself, and he could then see the Gateway where he wasn't able to do so previously.

So what's going on here? Why can't our named users see the Gateway? Is it because it's sitting in a DMZ? If our setup means only Admins are able to use it, we will have to either enable a bunch of report developers as Gateway admins, or our current admin (me) will be spending all of my time publishing reports and configuring connections - neither of which is an acceptable solution.

Anyone else run into this? How did you solve it? Thanks in advance!

5 REPLIES 5
dpo007

Same problem here too.  Adding the users to the DB conenctions in the gateway doesn't make them visible/avilable to them to actually attach their reports to.. How do we fix this?

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

What you need to do is when you create the data source connection under the Gateway management, you need to add the user under the Users tab on the data source.

Once that is done the user will then get to see the option under datasets.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Thanks for your suggestion, but I had already done that (that's what I meant by "Named Users" - I had added them by name as users of the data source). The issue is the users cannot see the data source unless I elevate them to be Gateway Administrators.

Ahh ok thanks, you should not have to have them looking at the Gateway Data Sources but rather just configure them for their reports.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have this issue also.

I have a gateway, with configured datasources.

My users are added to each datasource. 

However when creating a new report, they cannot see the gateway, or the datasources, until I make them a gateway administrator at which point, they can see both.

Not ideal. Can we get some commentary on what options we should be reviewing here?>

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors