Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PhilC
Resolver I
Resolver I

Multi use dataset and Row Level Security

Hi,

I am creating a dataset to use for multiple reporting purposes.  There are a considerable number of measures being created as well. (I am using DataFlows as the main source of data, not sure if that is relevant though).

One report will be published without access to the underlying data, but all users will be able to see data across the whole organisation.  Another will be published, but I'd like to have RLS applied so users can only access appropriate levels of the organisational hierarchy, and also be able to use Analyse in Excel or Export.

My understanding is that the RLS needs to be applied to the Dataset, not at the report level, so would like to know if anyone has an approach that will allow re-use of the dataset and measures in multiple reports, but have RLS or not depending on the report use.

Cheers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PhilC
Resolver I
Resolver I

After some discussions on a blog post (cannot locate link), determined my use case is probably not possible in a single model.

Workaround approach is to create a dataset/model with RLS included, and consider this the master version.  Any model changes will hapen in this file.  Once it is saved and published, the Security Group will be removed, Save As, then published as a second dataset/model.

Reports then then be built against the appropriate model, either with RLS in place or the one without it.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
PhilC
Resolver I
Resolver I

After some discussions on a blog post (cannot locate link), determined my use case is probably not possible in a single model.

Workaround approach is to create a dataset/model with RLS included, and consider this the master version.  Any model changes will hapen in this file.  Once it is saved and published, the Security Group will be removed, Save As, then published as a second dataset/model.

Reports then then be built against the appropriate model, either with RLS in place or the one without it.

Hi @PhilC

Okay, if the issue has been solved, please adopt your solution to help others.

Best Regards,

Link

v-xulin-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @PhilC

As a workzround, you can assign different roles to users to decide whether to apply RLS.
When user has edit permission, RLS does not take effect.

Scorll down to roles in the workspaces: https://docsmicrosoftt.com/en-us/power-bi/service-newworkspacess

Best Regards,

Link

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi, thanks for the suggestion, however we do not want users to have access to the datasets, so giving them access to the workspace is not appropriate.

Hi @PhilC

Sorry, maybe I didn't understand your expectations correctly.

I'm not clear about 're-use of the dataset and measures in multiple reports, but have RLS or not depending on the report use'.

Best Reards,

Link

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors