Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jonasemds
Frequent Visitor

Missing button to export data to excel

Hi everyone!

I have a report that is published online (embbeded).

This project has different visuals and pivot tables but unfortunately I'm running through some problems when trying to download data from it to excel or a similar file.

Here is an example, where the option to export data is not showing:
Even when clicking with the right button on the pivot table, it doesn't show any option to download the data.

jonasemds_0-1668013176993.png

Do you have any idea what I might be doing wrong?
Is it a limitation? Would Power Automate be a solution for that?

Any questions, let me know!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes, I checked it. Thanks for answering, by the way...

I'm guessing the "problem" is in the publish to web option. For security reasons (like you said), Microsoft might've blocked this option so "public users" can't have access to the report data.

I will stop using the publish to web option.
Thanks, everyone!!!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
PaulusD
Resolver II
Resolver II

You could check the settings in power bi desktop where you built the report.

open the pbix, file -> options and setting -> options, scroll down to current file -> report settings and check that you have allowed exporting data to excel.

v-mengzhu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jonasemds ,

Do you mean you didn't have this option?

vmengzhumsft_1-1668064939318.png

Testing the report in my service, this option is available.

vmengzhumsft_2-1668065308008.png

I didn't understand clearly this statement. Where did you encounter the problem, in the service or did you publish or embedded it elsewhere?

Best regards,

Community Support Team Selina zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Hi, @v-mengzhu-msft 
Sorry for not explaining it clearly. And yes, this is the button I need to use (export data).

The project is in the Power BI Service and, there, the button to export is available.
However, I embedded it on my website. Then, with the report embedded on my website, the option don't appear.

I embedded it using the option "publish to web (public)" that is available in the Power BI Service.

jonasemds_0-1668089229722.png

did you check the options in de PBi desktop file? that is where you allow or block the option to export to excel.

I'm not familiar with the embed on the web because we use PBI within our organisation. publish tp web open your data to the public which is why we don't use it.

Yes, I checked it. Thanks for answering, by the way...

I'm guessing the "problem" is in the publish to web option. For security reasons (like you said), Microsoft might've blocked this option so "public users" can't have access to the report data.

I will stop using the publish to web option.
Thanks, everyone!!!

Hmm that does sound like it could be the reason.

The other thing that just popped up is that when you publish a report to a workspace, you also publish a dataset. When exporting to excel it's the dataset that is referenced.

When embeddeing a report on a site, no dataset is included as far as i know. so it's possible that only the report and functionality are published.

Hope you find another way to accomplish your task.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors