Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

waltheed
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Mirroring Azure SQL database in Fabric

I ran into 2 issues follwing these instructions:

Tutorial: Configure Microsoft Fabric mirrored databases from Azure SQL Database (Preview) - Microsof...

1. connecting using the sql login as explained did not work: "Login failed for fabric_user".

2. when I tried another login, the connection worked, but when configuring mirroring I got this error:
The database cannot be mirrored to Fabric due to below error:
You need to set up a managed identity for your SQL Server. Please create and turn on the managed identity and then try again.

Cheers, Edgar Walther
ITsmart BI and Analytics consultant
10 REPLIES 10
waltheed
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

@ v_rongtiep-msft
Do you have an answer to our question regarding the issue: "PowerBI user with prefix ___________ not found."?

Cheers, Edgar Walther
Martin_inndx
Regular Visitor

I was able to folow the tutorial, but if I look in the SQL database and run this command:

SELECT * FROM sys.dm_change_feed_errors;

I see a lot of entries where error_message = "Error occurred while interacting with landing zone."

Does anyone know what it means?

Hi @Martin_inndx ,

Have submitted this issue internal to confirm, would update here as soon as possible if there is any update about it.

Best Regards
Community Support Team _ Rongtie

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-rongtiep-msft 

I actually got it working. I did not give the Managed Identity access to the Fabric Workspace.

One other thing that I don't understand is why each table that get's mirrored, have "dbo_" appended infront of the table names. I suppose I need to create a new topic for that.

loewen_dan
Regular Visitor

We are having the same issue displaying "PowerBI user with prefix ___________ not found.

v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @waltheed ,

The error message "Login failed for fabric_user" typically indicates an issue with the authentication process. Since you're connecting to an Azure SQL Database, ensure that:

1. The SQL Server login exists and has the correct permissions.
  2. The password entered is correct. Double-check for any typos or case sensitivity issues.
  3. The Azure SQL Database server's firewall settings allow connections from Microsoft Fabric. You might need to add the IP address of the Microsoft Fabric service to the allowed list. More details on configuring firewall rules can be found here.

The error message you encountered when configuring mirroring suggests that a managed identity for your SQL Server needs to be set up and turned on. Managed identities are crucial for secure, seamless authentication between Azure services.

vrongtiepmsft_0-1711590701085.png

Tutorial: Configure Microsoft Fabric mirrored databases from Azure SQL Database (Preview) - Microsof...

Managed identity in Microsoft Entra for Azure SQL - Azure SQL Database & Azure SQL Managed Instance ...

Best Regards
Community Support Team _ Rongtie

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I share issue as people below after your post. I can connect to database and see the data in preview so this is not a 'connection with the database issue'. This is the last step when I go from Preview to final Mirror Database. It is saying "PowerBI user with prefix [the start of the server address] not found"

I am able to successfully connect to the database and preview the tables in the "Configure mirroring" step, however I'm getting the following error when I click 'Mirror database': "User does not have permission to mirror the database".

There are no other details. Is this a permissions issue on the Azure side or the Fabric side?

Hi, 

Your tips helped me to proceed a few steps on the Mirror database - Configure mirroring screen.

I set the system assigned managed identity on the sql server (so not a user assigned managed identity, please update the instructions) and that got me to the next step. 

Then I received a message that the SQL database tier needs to be at least 100DTU. I changed that too. 

Now I get this message: "PowerBI user with prefix itsmart not found." 

(itsmart is our company name). I really do not know where this message comes from. What do I have to do?

Many thanks. 

Cheers, Edgar Walther

I have followed these instructions and now at the same point you are @waltheed. I get "PowerBI user with prefix ssaservice not found."  [ssaservice] is the name of our server in Azure.  I'm not sure what to do either.  😞 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors