Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ryanjlind
Advocate I
Advocate I

Managing embedded reports in multiple environments

We are working on a feature to embed a Power BI report within our proprietary application ("App-owns-data.")  We already have it working in that we can publish the report to the Power BI service wiht our Premium License and our application can fetch an embed token that allows it to display the report to our users with row-level security applied.  We are using the DirectQuery mode so that users can make changes in the app (ie purchase things) and see the report update in real time.

The problem is that like most development shops we have many environments.  In addition to our dev environments, there are 8 QA environments, UAT environments, Staging, Demo, Sandbox, etc. etc.  And we are planning to add more and more environments as we go.  Each environment of course has its own database and copy of the application.

My question is how are we supposed to manage our PBI report such that each environment is displaying the data from its database?  From what I can see, we essentially need to create a new workspace for each environment, and then we need to publish the report from PBI desktop to each one, changing the connection string each time.

This strikes me as absurd.  It means if I make a change to the report, I need to first publish it to the dev workspace, then I need to change the data source and publish it again to the QA1 workspace, change the data source, publish to the QA2 workspace, etc. etc. 30 times over! 

Surely there is a better, more automated approach for doing this, but I cannot find any reasonable suggestions online.  How do other dev shops manage this?

2 REPLIES 2
ryanjlind
Advocate I
Advocate I

The process I described doesn't even work because if I change the connection and try to publish to a different workspace, it complains that the dataset already exists.  So different copies of the report in different workspaces need to use a common dataset?!

Hi @ryanjlind,

An App workspace is an independent collection of reports and dashboards. You need it in your scenario. How about creating a Content pack? You can create it in the My workspace and install it in other Apps. Finally, you just need to update the Content pack. Please refer to power-bi/service-organizational-content-pack-introduction.

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors