Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Upamanyu90
Regular Visitor

Is a pro license required to setup a on premise gateway?

Hi Experts,

Hope you are having a good week!

Does the Power BI mail account that we specify while setting up an on premise gateway, require Pro License or can we set it up using free users as well? I am new to this so please let me know if you need any more information.

Thanks & Regards,

Upamanyu

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Upamanyu90 ,

Pro license is not required to install and use the gateway. You can check the following documents to learn more about the gateway.

On-premises data gateway

The Power BI Gateway; All You Need to Know

In addition, you can also take a look at the differences between  free license and pro license. As @Anonymous wrote, if you need to collaborate with other people later, such as share and view reports and dashboards etc., you will need a pro license. You can find more details in the following links.

Power BI service features by license type

Power BI Free vs Pro and Premium

Free vs Pro.JPG

Best Regards
Community Support Team _ Rena Ruan
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more.

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Upamanyu90 ,

Pro license is not required to install and use the gateway. You can check the following documents to learn more about the gateway.

On-premises data gateway

The Power BI Gateway; All You Need to Know

In addition, you can also take a look at the differences between  free license and pro license. As @Anonymous wrote, if you need to collaborate with other people later, such as share and view reports and dashboards etc., you will need a pro license. You can find more details in the following links.

Power BI service features by license type

Power BI Free vs Pro and Premium

Free vs Pro.JPG

Best Regards
Community Support Team _ Rena Ruan
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more.

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Upamanyu90 No, you do not need a Pro license to use the Gateway.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

@Greg_Deckler Ok, so let' say if I set up my on premsie gateway using a Power Bi account GWUSER@mycorp.com and the published report is accessed by BIUSER@mycorp.com, I should be good with the below -

GWUSER@mycorp.com - Free User

BIUSER@mycorp.com - Pro User

I am very new to this, so just double checking 🙂

Thanks Again!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Upamanyu90 though you can use gateway as a free user but you will be able to publish the report only to "My Workspace" ...and you will not be able to share the report with others...Only a pro user will be able to publish the report in a given workspace if he the owner of the workspace....

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors