Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Lokiy2j
Frequent Visitor

Invalid Connection Credentials - please help

Hi,

I've been using PBI for the last couple of years to create reports on a regular basis and share them with the rest of the senior management team, using gateway and on prem SQL server, I've had no issue pulling this together until today. 

A newly build report using one of the most frequently used connections I have is coming up with the invalid connection credentials error. 

The report itself contact that connection to SQL and two direct import tables one I intend to update manually (but not too often which is full of target data) and the other is a simple calander/date table that doesn't need updating and has been used in other reports before.

here is the technical detail;

Couldn't load the data for this visual
Couldn't retrieve the data for this visual. Please try again later.
Please try again later or contact support. If you contact support, please provide these details.
Activity ID: 68096001-dd12-4dc3-abeb-30da16017806
Request ID: 75ed6ca6-d9d9-3e6d-ea52-e14e3ad77103
Correlation ID: 5b90c1df-3f66-9d9a-9740-d61a98e442a7
Time: Fri Oct 02 2020 09:53:44 GMT+0100 (British Summer Time)
Service version: 13.0.14342.77
Client version: 2009.2.02969-train
Cluster URI: https://wabi-north-europe-redirect.analysis.windows.net/

Hopefully someone can help I've already checked the credentials and they all appear to be fine as SQL is authenticated from my windows account. 

4 REPLIES 4
collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @Lokiy2j ,

This error is not necessarily meaning that you have bad permissions.  The erorr is more about the ability to connect to the data.  This could be a transient issue, and if you hit refresh again 10 minutes later, all is well.  Some workarounds before creating a ticket are to clear you browser cache, close the browser and try again.  Or, try from a different browser.  Another thing to confirm is that the data source wasn't moved, renamed or otherwise become unaccesible - this happens a lot to Excel and SharePoint files.  ANother problem could be an invalid data point in the data source - like a blank or number field sitting in a Date Field that popped in with some new data.  Of course, it could truly be that the originating data source is inaccessible because of an issue with that system (happens a lot to web based or third party based data sources).

I would appreciate Kudos if my response was helpful. I would also appreciate it if you would Mark this As a Solution if it solved the problem. Thanks!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Hi @collinq thanks for the tips I've tried them but nothing works. something weird when I logged into the desktop app I had this error message! might this be something? 

Lokiy2j_0-1601661047440.png

hi  @Lokiy2j 

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/

Power BI customers using the September(SU09) Gateway or Power BI desktop with an on-premises SQL data source that has a self-signed certificate and "Force Encryption" set to Yes may experience issues with reports using Import or Direct Query modes and see the message "A connection was successfully established with the server, but then an error occurred during the pre-login handshake". As a workaround, customers can install a previous version of Gateway and Desktop versions as needed. Engineers are working on a fix which will be included in the October versions of Power BI Desktop and Gateway due to be released by 10/07/2020.

Try to use a previous version of Gateway and Desktop versions as needed.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/fundamentals/desktop-latest-update-archive

Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @Lokiy2j ,

Yes, I have seen this error before.  Here are a couple threads to help you:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Power-Query/Certificate-Chain-Not-Trusted-Error-Effecting-PowerBI-O...

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/provider-SSL-provider-error-0-The-certificate-chain-was-iss...

Let me know if that helps!

I would appreciate Kudos if my response was helpful. I would also appreciate it if you would Mark this As a Solution if it solved the problem. Thanks!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors