Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

soldous
Advocate II
Advocate II

Inconsistency in the On premises gateway versions

Hello,

I have some issue and can't figure out what's wrong. In our production environment, we have a cluster from two gateway servers. I always upgrade to the newest version but last two upgrades act strange. Installation of the gw goes well with no error message or anything strange on the servers and I see the newest version on both servers:

srv1.jpgsrv2.png

But in Power BI Service - Manage Gateways or in Power Platform Admin Portal I see that the second server has an older version:

cloud.png

I restarted the On-premises data gateway service on both servers many times. The whole servers as well. I checked the config files on both servers and there are the same. Proxy is configured on both servers. 

I don't know what could be wrong.

Can someone help me, please?

Thank you very much.

10 REPLIES 10
RossBrown

Experienced this problem.  This fixed it:

Power BI website -> Settings -> Manage Connections and Gateways -> On-premises data gateways -> (i) symbol to Open Gateway Cluster Details -> Click Checkmark next to gateway in cluster that is showing the wrong version -> Click 'Remove' at the top.

Now go to your gateway configuration on the server hosting the gateway and re-add the gateway to the cluster as a new gateway.  It will reregister it with the correct version #.

I trie this on a cluster that has two nodes: Primary and non-Primary. It worked to correct the Power BI version display, but I encountered unexpected side-effects:

- All the user and connections disappeared.

- The new cluster name inherited the name of the primary node.

- After registering both nodes, I renamed the cluster to its original name via Power BI Admin.

- I restored the DG host from a backup to get users and connections back. 

- Power BI still shows the correct version numbers and both nodes are enabled, but both on-premises DG apps report that the Gateway was not found. Please try to reconfigure the gateway. 

- Not sure about this, but I think I need to remove and re-register the gateways again.

Did anyone else try this?  If so, did you loose your Users and Connections?

Hi @DxM01 

If you have the gateway recovery key, you can un-install and re-install. When you re-install it will ask for the recovery key, which will then recover all of your data sources.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Hi @RossBrown 

Would that not delete the gateway and all the connections setup (unless you install it with the recovery key)?

Power BI Blog

kiankashani

@soldous were you able to fix this? I'm having the same issue.

@kiankashani when you sign in with your GW admin account after the update the correct version will be transferred into the PBI Service

georgerizk
Employee
Employee

Try to sign in in both gateways applications and sign out then sign in once again into the admin portal 

https://github.com/MicrosoftDocs/data-integration/issues/83

This worked for me - after restarting the service and signing in to the gateway configurator and refreshing the page the correct version shows up.

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @soldous,

I think your gateway client info may be cached in gateway clusters so it still dialed the wrong version info.  Maybe you can try to disable and turn off these gateway clients/device and restart them at the same time instead restart them standalone.

If these still not works, please contact power bi support to confirm if any backend cache data cause the issue.
Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

Possibly there is a lag between the Gateway versions and what admin porta for the gateways.

I would say if you know that they have both been upgraded then maybe give it some time.

You could also click on the Check status to see if that updates the details?

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors