Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Danch89
Frequent Visitor

Ignore Data Refresh for local datasets

Hi Community.

I have a PowerBi dataset with connections to a SQL Azure instance and a local spreadsheet. Within the query properties for the spreadsheet i've deselected the "Include in report refresh".

In the PowerBi service I want to set the Data source credentials so I can schedule a refresh of the SQL Azure data. Due to the local excel spreadsheet, I cannot set this as PowerBi service wants a gateway connection setting which I don't want.

How do I just set the SQL Azure datasets to refresh with a schedule in PowerBI service whilst there is a data connection with excel in the one document?

Danch89_0-1651238768930.png

Danch89_1-1651238911875.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
SpartaBI
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Danch89,

You cannot perform a refresh while some connection details are missing (even using premium features to invoke a single table refresh).
If the excel data is static, you should insert it into the model as hardcoded values using Power Query:

SpartaBI_0-1651258221462.png

The other option will be to move the excel data to a staging layer from where it will be able to be refreshed without a data gateway. For example:
1. Upload it to your Azure Sql DB.
2. Upload it, as CSV, to an Azure storage account (you can also use Power BI data flows- but this will require a one time use of a data gateway).

You can also do stuff like uploading a separate power bi dataset with the excel data, then connect to it in various ways, but this is really going too far...

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
SpartaBI
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Danch89,

You cannot perform a refresh while some connection details are missing (even using premium features to invoke a single table refresh).
If the excel data is static, you should insert it into the model as hardcoded values using Power Query:

SpartaBI_0-1651258221462.png

The other option will be to move the excel data to a staging layer from where it will be able to be refreshed without a data gateway. For example:
1. Upload it to your Azure Sql DB.
2. Upload it, as CSV, to an Azure storage account (you can also use Power BI data flows- but this will require a one time use of a data gateway).

You can also do stuff like uploading a separate power bi dataset with the excel data, then connect to it in various ways, but this is really going too far...

Thanks - I copy pasted as a table which fixed the solution of refresh in the PowerBI service.

SpartaBI
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Danch89 happy to hear it was solved.
Please don't forget to mark that previous comment as a solution to help other community members find it more easily. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors