Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Danch89
Frequent Visitor

Ignore Data Refresh for local datasets

Hi Community.

I have a PowerBi dataset with connections to a SQL Azure instance and a local spreadsheet. Within the query properties for the spreadsheet i've deselected the "Include in report refresh".

In the PowerBi service I want to set the Data source credentials so I can schedule a refresh of the SQL Azure data. Due to the local excel spreadsheet, I cannot set this as PowerBi service wants a gateway connection setting which I don't want.

How do I just set the SQL Azure datasets to refresh with a schedule in PowerBI service whilst there is a data connection with excel in the one document?

Danch89_0-1651238768930.png

Danch89_1-1651238911875.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
SpartaBI
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Danch89,

You cannot perform a refresh while some connection details are missing (even using premium features to invoke a single table refresh).
If the excel data is static, you should insert it into the model as hardcoded values using Power Query:

SpartaBI_0-1651258221462.png

The other option will be to move the excel data to a staging layer from where it will be able to be refreshed without a data gateway. For example:
1. Upload it to your Azure Sql DB.
2. Upload it, as CSV, to an Azure storage account (you can also use Power BI data flows- but this will require a one time use of a data gateway).

You can also do stuff like uploading a separate power bi dataset with the excel data, then connect to it in various ways, but this is really going too far...

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
SpartaBI
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Danch89,

You cannot perform a refresh while some connection details are missing (even using premium features to invoke a single table refresh).
If the excel data is static, you should insert it into the model as hardcoded values using Power Query:

SpartaBI_0-1651258221462.png

The other option will be to move the excel data to a staging layer from where it will be able to be refreshed without a data gateway. For example:
1. Upload it to your Azure Sql DB.
2. Upload it, as CSV, to an Azure storage account (you can also use Power BI data flows- but this will require a one time use of a data gateway).

You can also do stuff like uploading a separate power bi dataset with the excel data, then connect to it in various ways, but this is really going too far...

Thanks - I copy pasted as a table which fixed the solution of refresh in the PowerBI service.

SpartaBI
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Danch89 happy to hear it was solved.
Please don't forget to mark that previous comment as a solution to help other community members find it more easily. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors