Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

MetrumOBE
Regular Visitor

How to remove (Blank) value using URL Filtering

Hi the community,

I've published a report that need to be filtered via (url filtering) to remove (Blank) values.

By design, the report contains Report Level Filter doing this job by Advanced filter > is not blank.

Why using a report filter level, because I've several page in my report having to be filtered by this same value (is not blank).

My Issue :

When I tried to call the report via URL filtering, I don't get the expected result (Blank) are not filtered.

The URL used : ?filter=MARKET_MANAGER_D~2FMARKET_MANAGER_DESCR%20ne%20%27(Blank)%27

= ?filter=MARKET_MANAGER_D/MARKET_MANAGER_DESCR ne '(Blank)'

I've tried lots of combinasion without success 'blank', '', 'Blank', ...

The result :

Capture.PNG

Capture1.PNG

Is there a specific way to fo this please ?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @MetrumOBE,

Maggie Replied my that the writer of the online document.

It looks like it depends on the data type. Doing filter=Table/Column ne ‘’ will work if Column is a string type. But this doesn’t work for numbers or dates since it is trying to compare invalid data types to the empty string.

Our parser doesn’t have support for null as a right hand side expression, but we can add that functionality as part of the OData improvements after the accessibility work is finished. But for now this would only work for string values. There is a workaround by doing something like (filter=Table/Num gt L) where L is the lowest number in their dataset (or use “lt” and the value would be the largest number in that column). This would filter out empty values but you would need to know the high/low bounds of your dates and numbers.

Regards,

Frank

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @MetrumOBE,

Maggie Replied my that the writer of the online document.

It looks like it depends on the data type. Doing filter=Table/Column ne ‘’ will work if Column is a string type. But this doesn’t work for numbers or dates since it is trying to compare invalid data types to the empty string.

Our parser doesn’t have support for null as a right hand side expression, but we can add that functionality as part of the OData improvements after the accessibility work is finished. But for now this would only work for string values. There is a workaround by doing something like (filter=Table/Num gt L) where L is the lowest number in their dataset (or use “lt” and the value would be the largest number in that column). This would filter out empty values but you would need to know the high/low bounds of your dates and numbers.

Regards,

Frank

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

HI,

Thank you very much for your help.

The current field is in type String so it should work with ne ''.

But, when I tested it it didn't.

I would try maybe another approach on this.

I already though about your workaround proposal, I will test it.

It could be a good improvement for URL filtering for next release ;).

Many thank you.

Olivier

v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @MetrumOBE,

Based on my test, we cannot filter the blank value using this way directly. However we can create a calculated column in your data model switching the target column to numbers. Then we can use 'ge' to work around.

?filter = table/column ge number

2333.PNG

For more details, please check the online document.

Regards,

Frank

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors