Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

info-assets

Hashed Primary Keys for Idempotence

One of the major trends in data warehousing right now is the avoidance of integer surrogate keys because the eliminate idempotence (i.e. you have to reload the tables to regeneate them).  As an alternative, and especially in Snowflake, Redshift, and BigQuery, people are increasingly using a hash of the natural keys in order to join data warehouse tables.

Does anyone know how hashed keys perform on large tables (e.g. 1 billion row fact, 1 million row dimension) in Power BI?  

I know that Power BI builds a hash-integer lookup table itself, which takes up memory.  I'm wondering how much it takes up, and what effect this has on load and user performance? 

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

You may want to read a couple of the articles that discuss Vertipaq compression techniques and their performance, like this one

Inside VertiPaq - Compress for success - Data Mozart (data-mozart.com)

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
info-assets

What a helpful article, thanks!  I spoke to a friend who shared that he's tried this and using hashed keys instead of integer keys doesn't make a huge difference.  This seems to fit with what the article describes.  Thanks!

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

You may want to read a couple of the articles that discuss Vertipaq compression techniques and their performance, like this one

Inside VertiPaq - Compress for success - Data Mozart (data-mozart.com)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Power BI Carousel June 2024

Power BI Monthly Update - June 2024

Check out the June 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

Top Solution Authors