Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

s-pabla
Frequent Visitor

External User View Database Owner Name and Table/Column Name

I have assigned external user permissions to view Dashboard Report in Read Only mode. They can still see the Database Owner name and Name of Data tables/columns. They dont see any underlying data but Is there an option to prevent them from viewing name of database/table/owner/columns?

3 REPLIES 3
v-yueyunzh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi , @s-pabla 

Based on my research and experience, if you want read-only users to view reports in the Power BI service's portal, they'll see the names of the database/table/owner/column, which is a by-design operation, they just have the source data viewed, but the content has not been removed. If you are considering removing all sensitive information from these users and only viewing the data, you can consider using the "Embed for customer" scenario in Power BI embeded, which is completely for all users to view the report embedded in your own application/website, which suits the needs of your external users to view the report. If necessary, you can check this official document to confirm if it is suitable for your scenario:

Embed content in your Power BI embedded analytics application - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Thank you for your time and sharing, and thank you for your support and understanding of PowerBI! 

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Thanks for the solution. It looks a bit complicated but i was thinking maybe there is another way to prevent user from opening details of underlying database. In Power BI Service Portal can i get rid of yellow highlighted menu? This yellow highlighted bar provides a way to see underlying data (if you click on three dots next to Edit option). So, if I disable view on this menu bar, maybe the user dont know how to see underlying database?

spabla_0-1676500240678.png

Thanks

Hi, @s-pabla 

If you just want to disable these buttons that easily cause users to access the source data, I think simply adding the user as a "Viewer" in the workspace corresponding to the report or giving a read-only permission when sharing the report will prevent the user from seeing the use of these features to access the source data, you can check out this document:
Share Power BI reports and dashboards with coworkers and others - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

If you have a need for the simple display of these button panels, I think you can also try the "Full screen" function of the report, here is a post found to open the report app directly with "Full screen" default, you can refer to whether it helps:
Solved: Open a Power BI app in full screen mode by default - Microsoft Power BI Community

Thank you for your time and sharing, and thank you for your support and understanding of PowerBI! 

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors