Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

littlemojopuppy
Community Champion
Community Champion

Enhanced API Incremental Refresh

Hello!

Would like to ask for some help with something.  I have a dataset configured for incremental refresh I'm trying to refresh using the API.  Been banging my head against a wall for a couple days on this so I would really appreciate any help anyone could offer.

This script works exactly as intended...completes only the most recent day, finishes in under two minutes

{
	"refresh": {
	"type": "automatic",
        "commitMode": "transactional",
	"objects": [
		{
			"table": "Sales Invoice Transactions"
		}
	],
        "applyRefreshPolicy": "true"
	}
}

This script does not...it seems to ignore listing multiple tables and attempts to refresh the whole dataset,  Runs for an hour before it gets throttled for resources.

{
	"refresh": {
	"type": "automatic",
        "commitMode": "transactional",
	"objects": [
		{
			"table": "Sales Invoice Transactions"
		},
		{
			"table": "Sales Order Transactions"
		}
	],
        "applyRefreshPolicy": "true"
	}
}

Can anyone provide some ideas on what's wrong with the second script?  Much appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Figured out what's wrong.  Submitted more than necessary in the body of the API request.  Stuff in green is unnecessary.

littlemojopuppy_0-1675460421855.png

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
tackytechtom
Super User
Super User

Hi @littlemojopuppy ,

Have you defined incremental refresh policies for both tables? It might be if just one of them has one, that Power BI falls back to standard behviour and does a full refresh of the whole dataset. Also, if I recall correctly, if a table does not exist in the model specified in the body then a full refresh is triggered as well (I am not 100% sure though whether that statement is true though)

Please note, I am not an expert when it comes to incremental refreshes. So I am keen to be part of this learning experience 🙂

/Tom
https://www.tackytech.blog/
https://www.instagram.com/tackytechtom/

Did I answer your question➡️ Please, mark my post as a solution ✔️

Also happily accepting Kudos 🙂

Feel free to connect with me on LinkedIn! linkedIn

#proudtobeasuperuser 

Hi @tackytechtom 

Thanks for replying.  Yes, incremental policy is defined on both tables.

What's weird, and I probably should have mentioned this in the original post is that I can run that second script in SSMS and (with one modification: adding in the database with the table) it runs exactly as expected.  Which is why I feel like I'm banging my head against the wall.

Figured out what's wrong.  Submitted more than necessary in the body of the API request.  Stuff in green is unnecessary.

littlemojopuppy_0-1675460421855.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors