Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Erk
Resolver I
Resolver I

Double licensing for Guest users with Group Assignments

Hello,

I was wondering if it is possible to assign a Power BI Pro license with group assignments (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/enterprise-users/licensing-groups-assign) in combination with "Access Packages" to Guest users only when they don't have a Power BI Pro license in there own tenant (Bring Your Own License).

Because some guest users will already have an own license, so they don't need an extra one. But there will be also some guest users that doesn't have a license from there home tenant. Can you still add them in the same security group and only grant a license to the users that don't have a license?

Or is there a way to check if they have a license already from there home tenant?

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Erk 

For guest users , you cannot judge whether they have Pro licenses in admin center . You can see the license in View account when you sign in Power BI Service .

Ailsamsft_0-1646275511166.pngAilsamsft_1-1646275511170.png

If guest users want Pro licenses , there are two ways to achieve .

(1)Invite the external user to your organization to be a guest user ,then assign Pro license to him .

(2)When these users sign in Service with Power BI account , they can see a notification to upgrade to the Pro trial version, which is 60 days long. The trial version of Pro has the same functions as the official version, but there is a time limit. After this time, you need to pay to renew the Pro license.

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Erk 

For guest users , you cannot judge whether they have Pro licenses in admin center . You can see the license in View account when you sign in Power BI Service .

Ailsamsft_0-1646275511166.pngAilsamsft_1-1646275511170.png

If guest users want Pro licenses , there are two ways to achieve .

(1)Invite the external user to your organization to be a guest user ,then assign Pro license to him .

(2)When these users sign in Service with Power BI account , they can see a notification to upgrade to the Pro trial version, which is 60 days long. The trial version of Pro has the same functions as the official version, but there is a time limit. After this time, you need to pay to renew the Pro license.

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Erk
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hi @GilbertQ,

Thanks for your reply.

As you can see in this documentation (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/enterprise-users/licensing-groups-assign ) is the assignment per user but based on the security group.

When the user logs in and the prompt pops up can they upgrade to a (available) Power BI Pro license themselves or is only the trial available?

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Erk 

Unfotunately as far as I know it is not possible to assign licenses for groups, it has to be assigned to an individual user.

In terms of finding out of they do have a PBI license you can only find this out from their home tenant. Or when the user logs in it prompts them for a PBI license (meaning that they dont have a license)

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors