Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

JosefPrakljacic
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Direct Query License Limitations

Hey guys,

I wanted to know if there is a limitation on terms of the number of refreshes for a direct query report? If I have only the pro license am I able to refresh the data more than 8 times per day? What happens if I try to exceed the number?

BR,

Josef

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-xuding-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @JosefPrakljacic , @collinq ,

If the report is using Direct Query mode or live connection, we can configure refresh frequency in schedule cache refresh. It can refresh more than 8 times. 

1.PNG

There is a direct connection between Power BI and the database. When you interact with a visualization, queries are sent from Power BI directly to the database. To enhance performance, dashboards tiles are cached and periodically refreshed. Change the frequency there. (You can always manually refresh a tile any time by using the option on the More menu of the tile.)

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/refresh-data#datasets-in-directqueryliveconne...

For scheduled refresh (datasets with import mode), we can only refresh 8 time daily.

2.PNG

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/refresh-data#configure-scheduled-refresh

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Hey @collinq,

I've tested it now and with direct query and a pro license you can refresh atleast 20 times 😉 

That means that the refresh restriction only applies to import modes like @v-xuding-msft  has mentioned it.

BR,

Josef

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-xuding-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @JosefPrakljacic , @collinq ,

If the report is using Direct Query mode or live connection, we can configure refresh frequency in schedule cache refresh. It can refresh more than 8 times. 

1.PNG

There is a direct connection between Power BI and the database. When you interact with a visualization, queries are sent from Power BI directly to the database. To enhance performance, dashboards tiles are cached and periodically refreshed. Change the frequency there. (You can always manually refresh a tile any time by using the option on the More menu of the tile.)

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/refresh-data#datasets-in-directqueryliveconne...

For scheduled refresh (datasets with import mode), we can only refresh 8 time daily.

2.PNG

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/refresh-data#configure-scheduled-refresh

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @JosefPrakljacic ,

The number of refreshes is based on the license and not the type of data connection.  The standard refresh number is 8 for the Pro license.  If you have the Pro License you will not get the option to set more than 8 times.  If you need more than 8 refreshes you will need something like the Premium license.

I would appreciate Kudos if my response was helpful. I would also appreciate it if you would Mark this As a Solution if it solved the problem. Thanks!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Hey @collinq,

I've tested it now and with direct query and a pro license you can refresh atleast 20 times 😉 

That means that the refresh restriction only applies to import modes like @v-xuding-msft  has mentioned it.

BR,

Josef

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors