Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

scee07
Resolver I
Resolver I

Datamart

Hi community, 

I read a few articles about the new Datamart and I frankly do not get what the breakthrough advantage is. 
If had the capability of doing SQL for providing views from my base tables or using stored procedures I'd see a big advantage as this would complement the architecture with computation capabilities in addition to DAX. My understanding that SQL is only for ad hoc queries and the advantage of datamarts that the entire data requirement for a domain is consolidated in the datamart.

So, obviously I am missing the point. So, the question is: what is the breakthrough advantage of datamarts? 

Best regards 

Christian

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I was always intrigued (and appalled) by the concept of Direct Query access to Dataflows.  Maybe that is what Datamarts are. That would explain why that "Do you want to create a Datamart instead"  question keeps coming up.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HaroldDiaz
Regular Visitor

Hello,

I'm new with datamarts and I'm trying my first one but it give the following error:

HaroldDiaz_0-1683128984247.png

The data is a group of files from a folder onpremise, it works as a normal query on desktop and I can upload it to a dataset on the service, but in the datamart doesn't works.  Someone can help me?  I already uncheck the "enable load" on every connection but the main one.

scee07
Resolver I
Resolver I

OK, thank you for the quick repsonses. I think, I have good enough picture now. 

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

My (limited) understanding is that it is an Azure SQL server by another name (and with opaque costs) that allows you to potentially circumvent your  (maybe) IT department's  limitations on setting up (on-premise or private cloud or Azure) SQL servers, and to subvert a (potential) company wide data governance/stewardship effort that may be based on a different process. What I find interesting is that Datamarts are suggested whenever I want to create a dataflow. I would think these two are rather different concepts.

Thank you for your answer.
I checked now if I can create something (table, view) in the SQL server database of a datamart via Azure Studio or SSMS. This does not work and is consistent with your explanation. So I would characterize it roughly as a "read only SQL database with a Power BI front end for reporting in a specific domain". Someone can correct me if this working definition is too narrow.
The MS documentation says:

Use datamarts when you need to:

• Sort, filter, do simple aggregation visually or through expressions defined in SQL
  • For outputs that are results, sets, tables, and filtered tables of data
  • Provide accessible data through a SQL endpoint
  • Enable users who don’t have access to Power BI Desktop

Best regards 
Christian

I was always intrigued (and appalled) by the concept of Direct Query access to Dataflows.  Maybe that is what Datamarts are. That would explain why that "Do you want to create a Datamart instead"  question keeps coming up.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors