Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

SamMiddleton
Frequent Visitor

Datamart Auto Generated Dataset

Hi all

Like so many of you I am exploring the world of Datamarts and have some questions

1) Is the auto generated Datamart Dataset set to DQ? it doesn't appear to have a refresh schedule option. However, when I refresh my datamart, the dataset refresh history is just showing the previous day's date and the dataset isn't showing the changes I've made in the Datamart (see pic) 

Capture.PNG

2) You cannot connect to the auto generated dataset in Tabular editor, nor can you download it to desktop.  In order to use tabular editor via XMLA endpoint, I had to create a thin report from the auto generated dataset, download it, re-publish it so it created a dataset and then connect via TE3 to that dataset to bulk create measures etc.  Anyone found a better way to do this? 

3) The refresh is incredibly patchy.  I have a 33m row sales fact, this morning it took around 30 mins to refresh, yesterday it hung for 3 hours and monitoring from the db itself i could see that nothing was querying the DB (not even suspended connections) and this database isn't currently being queried by anything else.  I've refreshed it again this morning, and again it's hanging (it's not even showing as refreshing in the workspace, it's only when you click on the datamart that it loads the progress window).  It also doesn't appear to ever show the refresh history on the data mart. 

Is anyone else having refresh issues? Capture.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. Let's see.

1) Yes. It generates a DQ dataset connected to the datamart. It won't have a schedule refresh because it's DQ to the datamart.

2) It won't have XMLA Endpoint features. You can't connect with a third party tool. It's only for reporting and datavisualization purpose. The datamart should handle the modeling. If you really want to build something with PowerBi Desktop you should know the Datamart it's actually an Azure SQL Database. You can get the instance from the configuration and connect a Power Bi Desktop getting data from Azure SQL Database and your Azure AD credentials. Then you can even import the data and have all the classic PBI features.

3) I don't have much to say here. I haven't tried with that many rows yet. You can check if you can find a configuration in the DQ dataset to get rid off or reduce the Cache that usually has a DQ dataset.

I hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. Let's see.

1) Yes. It generates a DQ dataset connected to the datamart. It won't have a schedule refresh because it's DQ to the datamart.

2) It won't have XMLA Endpoint features. You can't connect with a third party tool. It's only for reporting and datavisualization purpose. The datamart should handle the modeling. If you really want to build something with PowerBi Desktop you should know the Datamart it's actually an Azure SQL Database. You can get the instance from the configuration and connect a Power Bi Desktop getting data from Azure SQL Database and your Azure AD credentials. Then you can even import the data and have all the classic PBI features.

3) I don't have much to say here. I haven't tried with that many rows yet. You can check if you can find a configuration in the DQ dataset to get rid off or reduce the Cache that usually has a DQ dataset.

I hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

I'm having a similar issue. The Dataset is supposed to be a DQ to the Datamart but it will not show the current data in the Datamart. The Dataset seems to be locked to the data loaded when it was first generated from the Datamart. I cannot seem to get it to update. Is this a permission issue maybe?

Is there any way to delete autogenerated dataset ?

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors