Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

peterg0417
Helper II
Helper II

Dataflow not detecting source file name change

I'm migrating my Power Query transformations to Dataflows, and while I'm doing that I'm also doing some maintenance/updating documentation.

I have 1 file (but possibly more) where I changed the name to something a little more general/fitting for the source, yet no matter how many times I hit refresh in the Dataflow step, it continues to connect to the old file name. No matter how many times I click "Refresh" in the navigation step where the folder contents are displayed, it's keeps showing me the old file name. It's even showing me files that don't exist in that folder anymore.

What's the deal with this? Is there a "Full Refresh" or "Clear Cache" option that I can do? Why is this so difficult?

3 REPLIES 3
v-yueyunzh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi , @peterg0417 

According to your description, you connected a file in Power Query in a dataflow, and your file name may have changed, you want to connect to your new file.

First of all, for dataflow, it shows that you are the latest data of the current query. There is no need to clear the cache to refresh. If your file name changes, you need to go to your Power Query to modify the file name before you can connect to the new file. Otherwise, it will always is linked to the old file.

vyueyunzhmsft_1-1686711405734.png

vyueyunzhmsft_0-1686711374608.png

Power Query always reads the M code to obtain the corresponding data location. If you have not made any changes here, the old file data is always read.

By another you can also create a parameter to maintain your data source name , for this , you can refer to :
Create a parameter query (Power Query) - Microsoft Support

Parameters - Power Query | Microsoft Learn

Edit parameter settings in the Power BI service - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Thank you for your time and sharing, and thank you for your support and understanding of PowerBI! 

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

The M code was updated. This is why I'm posting for help.

The connection is "Dataflow->Sharepoint Folder->File123.csv"

1. I changed the file name to "MasterFileName.csv" in SharePoint.
  2. The query connection in the Data Flow has been adjusted to "Dataflow->Sharepoint Folder->MasterFileName.csv"
  3. I then get an error message saying that file not found.

peterg0417_0-1686836242220.png

When I change "Domestic Portfolio - Master.csv" back to the old name that I used (which DOES NOT EXIST), it works.

Hi , @peterg0417 

Thanks for your quick response! I test it in my side , when i update the file name in the sharepoint folder and then i refresh the dataflow , it return an error so it can detch the new file name:

vyueyunzhmsft_0-1686879535762.png

If your file name is still unrecognizable after modification, you can try to click the "Refresh" button on Dataflow to clear the current query value and re-query.

vyueyunzhmsft_1-1686879555365.png

If the latest file name is still not recognized, you can check what is the file name obtained in the previous step?

vyueyunzhmsft_2-1686879695965.png

If the old file name is still displayed here, then you need to check whether your SharePoint file name has been changed successfully. Or you can try to create another Dataflow to connect to this SharePoint Folder to rule out whether it is a Dataflow problem.

Thank you for your time and sharing, and thank you for your support and understanding of PowerBI! 

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors