Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

TSHECKEL
Advocate II
Advocate II

Dataflow & Direct Query to Source

Does anyone happen to know if a table within a dataflow can be configured as a direct query to the data source versus import mode? The reason I ask as we're trying to maintain regular (strong) connections in a mixed / composite model dataset. Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
TSHECKEL
Advocate II
Advocate II

The initial  ask was round if a data flow object could be configured as a direct query to the source content. From what I surmise, I don't believe this is possible. 

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
TSHECKEL
Advocate II
Advocate II

The initial  ask was round if a data flow object could be configured as a direct query to the source content. From what I surmise, I don't believe this is possible. 

TSHECKEL
Advocate II
Advocate II

1:N with the 1 (dual) filtering the N (direct query).

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Dataflows are glorified CSV files. They have no concept of "direct query against a data source".  You are already using composite semantic models - there you can implement your Direct Query components.

(Don't get me started on "Direct Query against dataflows" (aka Datamarts).  I can't even. )

Thanks. Yeah, that's our issue ... the dataset composite model we have contains DQ queries to a data source and additional "dual" connections to the dataflow. However, the use of dual through the dataflow results in weak or limited connections with the existing DQ queries. That's not the case if one omits the dataflow and uses dual to the other data sources. For some reason, data flow and dual connections result in limited connections. The thought was to get around that by possibly configuring the DQ connections through a dataflow as well. 

For some reason, data flow and dual connections result in limited connections. 

What problem are you trying to solve?

We're trying to maitain a dataset that contains strong / regular connections between all objects. Our dataset is composite and contains both dual and direct queries. This works outside of a dataflow. However, if we source the dual objects from a dataflow, the connectons then become limited / weak.  

Limnited Weak.jpg

We do not want to import the DQ content into a dataflow due to the size of it. However, if a dataflow could be configured as a DQ (datflow to external db), this may allow us to establish a regular / strong connections again with the dual objects. 

Meh?  What's the cardinality of the join columns?

1:N with the 1 (dual) filtering the N (direct query).

I was asking about the cardinality on the "1"  side.

The dual side is a "single" filter to the direct query and a 1 to many. Sorry, my example diagram could be intepreted as "both" but it is not. Thanks!

"cardinality"  means - how many distinct values do you have on the 1 side of the relationship?  Recommendation is to keep that below 50K.

The dimensional one side is unique across all records, but they can exceed millions of records. The model maintains a regular or strong relations between both the DQ and Dual queries / objects when they both source from an external data source. However, if we point the Dual objects to a dataflow, the relationships now become limited or weak. Thanks 

I recommend you watch the query size. That high cardinality is a much bigger problem.

We have sales across millions of items and, at times, we need the ablitilty to look at the most granular item level. Unfortunately, we can't reduce the cardinality in this case. Thanks for your help.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors