Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

clemlanoe
Regular Visitor

Dataflow Refresh Error with SharePoint

Hi,

I've had a data flow that is connected to a Sharepoint csv for months without issue and now I'm getting the following error when refreshing the data:

"SharePoint: Request failed: The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send."

I've tried clearing the permissions and reconnected but end up with the same error.

I've also tried uninstalling and reinstalling Power Bi desktop.

[EDIT]

Upon further investigation, I found that it succesfully located my CSV file on SharePoint but then fails when retrieving the binary content with a slightly different error message:

"DataSource.Error: The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send."

[EDIT 2.0]

I have managed to extract a more detailed error message:

Unexpected error: The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send.
Details:

Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.Interface.ErrorException: The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send. ---> Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.Interface.ErrorException: The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send. ---> Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.Interface.ErrorException: The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send. ---> Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.Interface.ErrorException: The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send. ---> Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.Interface.ErrorException: The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send. ---> Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Library.Http.ResponseException: The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send. ---> Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Library.Http.ResponseException: The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send. ---> System.Net.WebException: The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send. ---> System.IO.IOException: Unable to read data from the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host. ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host
at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
at System.Net.FixedSizeReader.ReadPacket(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count)
at System.Net.Security.SslState.StartReceiveBlob(Byte[] buffer, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
at System.Net.Security.SslState.CheckCompletionBeforeNextReceive(ProtocolToken message, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
at System.Net.Security.SslState.ForceAuthentication(Boolean receiveFirst, Byte[] buffer, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest, Boolean renegotiation)
at System.Net.Security.SslState.ProcessAuthentication(LazyAsyncResult lazyResult)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Net.TlsStream.ProcessAuthentication(LazyAsyncResult result)
at System.Net.TlsStream.Write(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
at System.Net.PooledStream.Write(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
at System.Net.ConnectStream.WriteHeaders(Boolean async)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

2 REPLIES 2
otravers
Community Champion
Community Champion

I'm a bit confused by your troubleshooting steps as you mentioned Power BI Desktop which is not used to set up dataflows. Where are you seeing the error, in the Power BI service? Then let's rule out Desktop to keep things simple.

Your detailed error message suggests some sort of networking error or blocking. Let's start from the beginning. Are you still able to browse your SharePoint library (using the same account used to authenticate in the dataflow) as well as download your CSV? How large is this CSV file?

------------------------------------------------
1. How to get your question answered quickly - good questions get good answers!
2. Learning how to fish > being spoon-fed without active thinking.
3. Please accept as a solution posts that resolve your questions.
------------------------------------------------
BI Blog: Datamarts | RLS/OLS | Dev Tools | Languages | Aggregations | XMLA/APIs | Field Parameters | Custom Visuals

Thank you for your detailed response. Apologies, I meant to post this under "Desktop" and not "Service".

I will do that now.

And yes, I am still able to browse my SharePoint library form within Power Bi.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.

February 2024 Update Carousel

Power BI Monthly Update - February 2024

Check out the February 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Fabric Career Hub

Microsoft Fabric Career Hub

Explore career paths and learn resources in Fabric.

Fabric Partner Community

Microsoft Fabric Partner Community

Engage with the Fabric engineering team, hear of product updates, business opportunities, and resources in the Fabric Partner Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors