Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MatthewA1
Frequent Visitor

Data Source offline - unable to refresh data through PowerBI service

Hi,

Over the last few days i have been having some issues with the on-premise gateway connection going offline and requirng to be restarted, this issue has now been resolved and with a server restart and updating to the latest version of the gateway.

I have now encountered another issue with the data sources, the gateway is shown as online but the datasource linking to our reports which all have schduled refreshes have all broken and went offline. The inital error i got from the schduled refresh was

"Before the data import for "X" finished, its data source timed out. Double-check whether that data source can process import queries, and if it can, try again."

I have then been into the data source section with the PowerBI service and tried to update the credentials for each of the data source and get the following error:

MatthewA1_0-1675762747909.png

Other than updating the gateway there has been no other changes to the reports.

Would anyone be able to assist in helping me understand what could be causing this issue? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Im not sure if i have found the solution but after creating addtional space on the server (i noticed that there was limted free space), the data sources are no longer timing out and seem to be refreshing fine.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. Let me check if got this right. You have a PBI dataset connected to an Azure SQL Database and other sources that require a gateway, because if you are just using Azure SQL Database you don't need a gateway.

In order to make cloud and onpremises sources work properly, you need to enable an option on the gateway

ibarrau_0-1675773177506.png

That's a start. Then regarding the message of the issue it says there is a timeout. It's not offline. The timeout can be for two reasons. One, the query is taking more than the command timeout specified by the Power Query code on the source step. If not specified it's between 10 or 15 minutes. Two, there is another timeout that can be configured at SQL Servers regarding how much time a query can take. That last might be more difficult to find, I would suggest talking with a DBA if all the things I have said before are ok.

I hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Im not sure if i have found the solution but after creating addtional space on the server (i noticed that there was limted free space), the data sources are no longer timing out and seem to be refreshing fine.

Well if the memory of the server is busy almost everyday or the disk is out of space it can response a timeout because it needs some memory to use from the server and sometimes it creates a copy of the pbix while refreshing on the disk as temporal file. If it can do it, then fails.

I hope you solution keeps working! just remember to monitor the space on the server

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors