Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

MG86
Advocate I
Advocate I

Creating a PBI tenant for customer.

Hi, every customer I've had so far already had set up the PBI tenant, set up by their IT partner.

Now is the first time the customer is looking at me to set it up. But I think I still need their IT partner? I believe the Admin of their O365 subscription needs to set it up and then also create an Azure AD account for me and assign a PBI license.

From what I understand so far there are two ways:

1. go to app.powerbi.com and create a PBI account with email address of their tenant. 

2. This one is more vague to me: O365 Admin rolls it out for the tenant. 

With first option I don't think you obtain a managed tenant with global Admin settings for multiple accounts? For example if employee1@customer.com signs up, it won't enable him to start a workspace and collaborate with employee2 who signs up after him/her? And how would it be decided who gets Admin rights? 

I think I need option 2. 

If the it partner is unfamiliar with this as well, how do I instruct him? What is a short step by step? 

Goal is to have a managed tenant which customer can continue to manage after im done, take ownership of datasets and workspaces and use gateways. 

And could I also set it up myself despite not being the 365 Admin? Would that also earn me partner points to activate new customers? 

Beginner question despite being experienced lol, just first time customer doesn't have it set up already. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-tangjie-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @MG86 ,

After logging in to the Azure portal, you can create a new tenant for your organization. You can view and assign administrator roles in Azure Active Directory. Go to the Office 365 Management Portal, where you can create accounts for users and assign licenses.

Please refer to the following documents for more information.

How to Create a New Power BI Tenant and Add Users with Azure Active Directory and Office 365 | Jon G...

Quickstart - Access & create new tenant - Microsoft Entra | Microsoft Learn

Create an Azure Active Directory tenant to use with Power BI embedded - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Power BI licensing for users in your organization - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,

Neeko Tang

If this post  helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
PeterLinnet

Hi @MG86 , was this ever really answered?

The answer marked as solution seems to neglect the nuances in OP being a partner, and only having delegated admin priveleges in the customer tenant. Any documentation I find always assume, that provisioning (and authoring) is done by a tenant-native admin or user. Not by delegated admin or allowed users from a partner tenant.

In my case: If my AAD-tenant is partner.com and my customer's AAD-tenant is customer.com on which I have delegated admin priveleges, the scenario from a UPN-perspective is this:
1: as admin@partner.com, I need to log in to customer.com as delegated admin and provision a PBI tenant for customer.com
2: as delegated admin, I need to assign a PBI Pro license to user1@customer.com and user2@customer.com (this I know how).
3: as delegated admin, I need to give developer1@partner.com and developer2@partner.com access to create and deploy datasets and reports for customer.com.
4: as developer1@partner.com I need to create and publish Datasets and Reports to customer.com (from PowerBI Desktop)

No documentation for 1, 3 and 4 that I have been able to find take into consideration that I'm from partner.com working for customer.com

v-tangjie-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @MG86 ,

After logging in to the Azure portal, you can create a new tenant for your organization. You can view and assign administrator roles in Azure Active Directory. Go to the Office 365 Management Portal, where you can create accounts for users and assign licenses.

Please refer to the following documents for more information.

How to Create a New Power BI Tenant and Add Users with Azure Active Directory and Office 365 | Jon G...

Quickstart - Access & create new tenant - Microsoft Entra | Microsoft Learn

Create an Azure Active Directory tenant to use with Power BI embedded - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Power BI licensing for users in your organization - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,

Neeko Tang

If this post  helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors