Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Copied report to another workspace is not refreshing though datetime stamp shows it did.

I published a report to a workspace. I copied that report to another workspace.

I published an update to that same report and the published details showed 2 workspaces and 2 reports would be affected.

The copied report showed the refreshed datetime stamp, but the report itself does not display the updates. It didn't physically refresh.

Im running Oct 2022 version of PBI. Is anyone else seeing this? I'm I missing a setting or a workaround?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

It sounds like you have made an update to a report in one workspace, and then copied that report to another workspace. You then published the updated report, and the published details showed that both workspaces and both reports would be affected. However, when you checked the copied report, you noticed that it did not reflect the updates and did not physically refresh.

There are a few things that could be causing this issue:

• Caching: It's possible that the report is being displayed from a cached version, rather than the updated version. In this case, you can try refreshing the report or clearing your browser cache to see if that helps.
  • Permissions: Make sure that you have the appropriate permissions to edit and publish the report in both workspaces. If you don't have the necessary permissions, you may not be able to make updates to the report.
  • Data sources: If the report is using a data source that has changed, it may be causing the report to not refresh properly. Check to make sure that the data source is still valid and that the connection is still active.
  • Data refresh: Make sure that the report is set to refresh on a regular basis. You can check the report's refresh schedule by going to the File menu and selecting "Options and settings", then "Data source settings".

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information and let me know immediately. Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Henry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

It sounds like you have made an update to a report in one workspace, and then copied that report to another workspace. You then published the updated report, and the published details showed that both workspaces and both reports would be affected. However, when you checked the copied report, you noticed that it did not reflect the updates and did not physically refresh.

There are a few things that could be causing this issue:

• Caching: It's possible that the report is being displayed from a cached version, rather than the updated version. In this case, you can try refreshing the report or clearing your browser cache to see if that helps.
  • Permissions: Make sure that you have the appropriate permissions to edit and publish the report in both workspaces. If you don't have the necessary permissions, you may not be able to make updates to the report.
  • Data sources: If the report is using a data source that has changed, it may be causing the report to not refresh properly. Check to make sure that the data source is still valid and that the connection is still active.
  • Data refresh: Make sure that the report is set to refresh on a regular basis. You can check the report's refresh schedule by going to the File menu and selecting "Options and settings", then "Data source settings".

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information and let me know immediately. Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Henry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Henry, Sorry for the long hiatus, life got in the way and just now logging back in. Thank you for the suggestions. I was either good on or tried your suggestions. Caching had the biggest promise, clearing cache didn't help either. Because  the second workspace showed the last update, I thought my data was refreshing, just not text changes, but after testing better, nothing is refreshing. I wish I had errors to report but there are none. 

I noticed another thread by @HawkB that mimics exactly what I'm experiencing and mentions some of your suggestions, but he doesn't seem to be any closer. 

The copy doesn't seem to be a live reference to the main report/dataset even though it shows a connection to the remote dataset in the lineage. So promising yet so disappointing. 

Still, I appreciate your recommendations!

Sorry, just had a notification that I've been tagged in this - is this a current thread of mine? I'm not sure I have currently any issues along the same lines (mine are currently around cumalative counts and across a year!) but happy to share what I did if you can link me to the particular query I had. 

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

The refesh timestamp is extremely misleading. All it shows is when the dataset was processed, or when the report was modified.  It says nothing about how current the data in your report is. (For that you should use an appropriate field in your data like a Last Modified Date).

As for the reports - read about Lineage View.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors