Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

hejszyszky
Helper II
Helper II

Connecting Power BI Service dataset with SQL Server

Hey, i am facing an issue descripted below.

I do have a etl process with power query, which is gathering data from ~50 files from network drive. This is creating a dataset, which refresh is scheduled and it is published to Power BI service.

My question is, is there a way for another person to connect to this dataset through SQL Server in order to have a refreshed/'live' dataset?

What is the best solution to this? Did anyone faced and solved such problem?

Thanks in advance!

4 REPLIES 4
nitishsh91
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hi @hejszyszky 

Why do you want to connect this dataset via SQL server?

If you want to use that refereshed dataset, then you can use it Analyze in Excel feature:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-analyze-in-excel

HI @nitishsh91,

This is required by another person, who is external (external - i mean who does not have access to network drive)  to have refreshable dataset - who is gathering different datasets into sql server.

So we've been looking for a solution to provide this dataset as a refreshable data into sql server. 

I think analyze in excel requires trigger in order to refresh data - which forces user to do such an activity daily or sth.

This doesn't need refreshing dataset as you are already refreshing the data as per your schedule and if you need to access that dataset you can easily do it via this analyze in excel feature which requires you to have access on dataset.

Otherwise you will have to download refreshed data from dataset and then load it in your sql as I haven't seen any default way of doing it.

Hmmm, what if row level data is required? Is there a way? Did anyone have any experience?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors