Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Wesleybarton
Frequent Visitor

Changes to Access Management For Datasets

There appears to be recent changes in the view of managing user access for datasets in PBI services. I am wondering if this has changed the ability to share with people outside of your organization. When I try and share a dataset with someone outside of my organization I received and error message "Failure: Failed to grant access". We still have people that had access previous to this change that retain their access. I removed a user that had access and tried to re-grant access and was given the failure message again. I have also read about the B2B changes but I am not finding any explanation of this issue.

For the same users I am unable to grant Dataset access to, I am able to grant workspace access. Unfortunately workspace access is not feasible for our use case. Just an FYI

3 REPLIES 3
TGillespie
Regular Visitor

We are having the same issue.   From the webservice all we get is a 'Failed to Add' message - no details - it take a couple minutes before the message generates.  We have a ticket in with Microsoft but no resolution.   

v-jayw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Wesleybarton ,

Is there any detailed error message?

You could check the Issues forum here to check if there's similar issue.
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/idb-p/Issues

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.

Unfortunately as @TGillespie has stated, the error is very generic and does not provide any details.  I believe we have open a ticket as well.  We have found a work around (that is not sustainable but works in a pinch).  If you give the user access to the REPORT that is associated with the DATASET, it will give access to both the REPORT and the DATASET.  You can then remove access to the report and the user will retain access to the dataset.  @TGillespie Not sure if you want to try that....

We have also found that we are unable grant access to user groups as we have in the past.  We are not sure if the issue is related but both issues were first noticed after the recent changes.  

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors