Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

electrobrit
Post Patron
Post Patron

Can't update data source credentials

All of the sudden scheduled refresh stopped and getting invalid connection credentials in Power BI Service, can't change anything under data source credentials in settings-says failed to test the connection to your data source. Can manually refresh with no errors and publish but still getting the error message in PBI service after publishing. (image below)

error:

Cluster URI:        WABI-WEST-US-redirect.analysis.windows.net

Activity ID:        327753f2-dff1-47ee-be98-e5fb4ab55388

Request ID:        23c133ee-c896-fd36-c86d-a74d24005f1c

Time:        2022-10-25 16:31:16Z

Also gateway showing "unknown error" when I check status under data sources and click status shows unknown error (Under on-premise data gateways it says online)

Error code: DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_ImpersonationError

Data source error: The on-premises data gateway's service account failed to impersonate the user.

Cluster URI: https://api.powerbi.com

Activity Id: 4c33cc9f-c4f6-404d-9569-c8c46238cb71

Request Id: 077a0dc1-a2a2-47fd-9106-d348a93a0eaf

Time: Tue Oct 25 2022 10:22:00 GMT-0600 (Mountain Daylight Time)

have updated gateway.

I donh't know what to check and what to do, not sure if all related. I can connect to everything without error in desktop

electrobrit_0-1666718298886.png

I have tried to submit a ticket to support but it won't let me select severity issue (there is no dropdown) but won't let me submit ticket without that field. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thank you for the response but even on the admin (which controlled gateway) it would say this same thing but no credentials required)-screenshot below. 

electrobrit_1-1666734150607.png

I did however by trial and error got everything working.
For someone else, 

1. Updated gateway (this needed to be done so didn't resolve issue right away but maybe helped eventually)

2. Added gateway to azure (used the gateway admin account)

3. selected to Skip test connection in gateway config within Power BI (got rid of unknown error or impersonation error on gateway)-after step 2&3- gateway went online

4. This is weird as we've never had to do this but I couldn't see the credentials in there before but I changed credentials on the sql server datasource using that gateway from the admin credentials to my current windows creds & password (this seems like it could be a problem when our passwords change but I'll make note.)

NOTE:
It seems like Power BI needs to update their troubleshooting guides and more information to help in resolving error messages. There was no one place to check everything, I found help through here mostly reading tons and tons of Q&A of what other people did just clicking around themselves.  They also really work to prevent people opening support tickets. Thank goodness for the community sharing their own experiences.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @electrobrit 

The 

aj1973_0-1666730148505.png

Is grayed out...seems like you need to take control of the Gateway (Someone else is in control)

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

Thank you for the response but even on the admin (which controlled gateway) it would say this same thing but no credentials required)-screenshot below. 

electrobrit_1-1666734150607.png

I did however by trial and error got everything working.
For someone else, 

1. Updated gateway (this needed to be done so didn't resolve issue right away but maybe helped eventually)

2. Added gateway to azure (used the gateway admin account)

3. selected to Skip test connection in gateway config within Power BI (got rid of unknown error or impersonation error on gateway)-after step 2&3- gateway went online

4. This is weird as we've never had to do this but I couldn't see the credentials in there before but I changed credentials on the sql server datasource using that gateway from the admin credentials to my current windows creds & password (this seems like it could be a problem when our passwords change but I'll make note.)

NOTE:
It seems like Power BI needs to update their troubleshooting guides and more information to help in resolving error messages. There was no one place to check everything, I found help through here mostly reading tons and tons of Q&A of what other people did just clicking around themselves.  They also really work to prevent people opening support tickets. Thank goodness for the community sharing their own experiences.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors