Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

GaryH
Frequent Visitor

Can't export power bi report that uses lakehouse semantic model through Power Automate.

All,

I am trying to run an automated process the exports a Power BI report to a PDF and emails it.  We have dozens of Power Automate jobs that do this currently without issue.  However we have tried with a report that is using a LakeHouse DataSet and this receives an error after almost exactly 30 seconds.

This error contains the following details: "Generating export content failed for section 2 due to InvalidRequest. Message: failed to load page request url"

The Power Automate job fails on the "Export To File for Power BI Reports".  I've selected PNG, below, but all other formats fail also.
2023-11-17 17_15_15-Run History _ Power Automate and 3 more pages - Work - Microsoft​ Edge.png

any ideas would be appreciated.

7 REPLIES 7
kikipmtgf

Hi,

I have the exact same issue. Have you been able to solve yours?

Thanks.

Unforrunately no.  I had a ticket open for over 2 months on this, and they couldn't even provide an estimate of when it would be fixed as internally it involved multiple teams.

The only workaround provided was to use the subscribe feature directly in the power bi service to email reports out.  Unfortunately we have a more advanced workflow in power automate, so this wasn't a viable workaround.  

One thing I did discover is paginated reports "do" work if thats an option for you.

For now, we have moved these reports off lakehouse fabric for now until we can see the system is feature complete and stable.

Hello,

I just got an update from Microsoft. Here it is:

"I would like to inform you that, I have received an updated from product team. They mentioned that, Direct lake models/reports aren't supported in embed scenario when the model is configured as SSO connection. Since Export to File API is using embed token "behind the scenes", this limitation also applies to the API. Possible mitigation for allowing Export to File scenario for the you is trying to use fixed identity instead of SSO for his model Learn how to specify a fixed identity for a Direct Lake semantic model in Power BI and Microsoft Fab.... It makes sense that the export works from Power BI portal, since when exporting from the portal the implementation isn't done with embed token, so the scenario is supported. So, it is by design behavior."

I will investigate their proposed mitigation.

Thanks for your reply - hopefully they will fix this at some foreseeable point. I am in the same case as you, the subscribe feature does not fulfill the need.

GaryH
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for replyhing.  Yes, same error running directly through the api in the sandbox. 

I've also completed some additional tests.  I also added a table to the report to force direct query instead of direct lake, and the automate job now runs, but with all table/charts all the grey box with "can't display the visuals". Definity something with the api not connecting the lakehouse. 

If you have a Pro license you can open a Pro ticket at https://admin.powerplatform.microsoft.com/newsupportticket/powerbi - otherwise you can raise an issue at https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Issues/idb-p/Issues .

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Do you get the same error when you try this from the API sandbox?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors