Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

eflowers602
Regular Visitor

Automatically refreshing and saving PBI dashboard to a server for others to use

Hi All, 

I have created a dashboard that uses a connection to Microsoft SQL Database that I need to set as an automatic update and save to my company server for others to open and use. The problem is that I work on a different time zone, so when requests come in, I am unable to fulfill them. Is there a way to schedule an automatic refresh of my already made dashboard, and then save to the server (company one-drive) for others to open? I have tried using the scheduled refresh in the past, but I am not always connected to my VPN (due to being in different hours than when they need the report), so How can I update a dashboard automatically when not connected to a vpn, or even better, how can my collegeaus update the dashboard without any SQL credentials? -- Can this be done using gateway and then power automate? 

3 REPLIES 3
Shahfaisal
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Sounds like you need to setup a gateway. I would go through the following articles. 

What is an on-premises data gateway

Data refresh in Power BI 

If I set up gateway and utilize automatic refresh, does it automatically save my PBI in the store location (company server) or do I need go in and save it once it refreshes? 

@eflowers602 wrote:

If I set up gateway and utilize automatic refresh, does it automatically save my PBI in the store location (company server) or do I need go in and save it once it refreshes? 

I am not sure what you mean by company location but if you have deployed your PBIX file to Power BI Service, a gateway will refresh the data such that when users open up the report, it will be up to date as of the last time the refresh completed.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors