Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SorenHElisa
Helper I
Helper I

PBIRS rest api, data to Power BI report, authentication

Hi, 

Tried finding something about this issue, but couldn't. Whether someone knows if this has already been answered, please point me in the rights direction. 

Environment: Power BI Report Server Version1.16.8420.13742(January 2023)

What I'm trying to achieve:

make a Power BI report listing all the data sources to all Power BI reports in the server, data fetched through https://<server>/reports/api/v2.0 using OData connector

Purpose:

check if any reports are using an old data source connection, 

What's working: Getting the complete list of reports from the API through PowerBIReports, after filtering out "My Reports" folders.

What's not working: expanding Data Sources for the reports

Error message in Power BI Desktop: 

DataSource.Error: OData: Request failed: The remote server returned an error: (500) Internal Server Error. (An error has occurred.)

Error message in Power BI Report Server:

ERROR|223|library|Throwing Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.AccessDeniedException: , Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.AccessDeniedException: The permissions granted to user '<my user account> are insufficient for performing this operation.;

Checked:

I have put myself as System administrator in the Power BI Report Server security 

I'm also a sysadmin in the SQL server.

Where can I give myself more rights so I can get this working? Are there some stored procedures that are not granted to my account that's needed for these kind of operations? 

Kind regards,

Sören

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
SorenHElisa
Helper I
Helper I

Did not need to wait for the server to reboot. Found the problem. 

After some deeper digging I found reports that were "shut out" of admin persons, i.e. the BUILTIN\Administrators had been removed from the security page for the reports. After adding BUILTIN\Administrators with Content Manager rights where it was missing, the datasource report is now refreshing fine. 

Here's a query that helped me out:

with a as (
select PolicyID
from [ReportServer].[dbo].[PolicyUserRole] (nolock)
where UserID = '<GUID>' --get the ID from table 'Users'
)
select * 
from Catalog c (nolock)
where not exists (
	select 1 
	from a 
	where a.PolicyID = c.PolicyID
)
and path not like '%Users Folders%'

Have a nice day!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
SorenHElisa
Helper I
Helper I

Did not need to wait for the server to reboot. Found the problem. 

After some deeper digging I found reports that were "shut out" of admin persons, i.e. the BUILTIN\Administrators had been removed from the security page for the reports. After adding BUILTIN\Administrators with Content Manager rights where it was missing, the datasource report is now refreshing fine. 

Here's a query that helped me out:

with a as (
select PolicyID
from [ReportServer].[dbo].[PolicyUserRole] (nolock)
where UserID = '<GUID>' --get the ID from table 'Users'
)
select * 
from Catalog c (nolock)
where not exists (
	select 1 
	from a 
	where a.PolicyID = c.PolicyID
)
and path not like '%Users Folders%'

Have a nice day!

SorenHElisa
Helper I
Helper I

Good point. Thanks @josef78 ! 

Tested, but did not change anything. I'll have our Management Services reboot the server tonight if that's the problem. Currently Tuesday morning, so will take a while before I can test again.

Will post updates here when news are available. 

josef78
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Check also if you are local admin on server where is runnig Power BI Report Server

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.