Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

GA1993
Helper II
Helper II

Migrate from personal data gateway to public cloud server/source

Hi, I would like to migrate/use a public gateway instead of using my personal gateway for my PowerBI data source. How do I do this properly? I would like to do this so my data refresh can go successfully even if I am not online.

I tried deleting this but I encountered the issue below. Please advise. Thank you.

GA1993_0-1647010979923.png

GA1993_1-1647011030906.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @GA1993 ,

For ease of distinction, we usually refer to the other type of On-premises data gateway as On-premises data gateway (Standard mode).

There are different types of gateways, each for a different scenario:

On-premises data gateway: Allows multiple users to connect to multiple on-premises data sources. With a single gateway installation, you can use an on-premises data gateway with all supported services. This gateway is well-suited to complex scenarios in which multiple people access multiple data sources.

On-premises data gateway (personal mode): Allows one user to connect to sources and can’t be shared with others. An on-premises data gateway (personal mode) can be used only with Power BI. This gateway is well-suited to scenarios in which you’re the only person who creates reports, and you don't need to share any data sources with others.

For more,you could see:On-premises data gateway vs. on-premises data gateway (personal mode) 

They cannot migrate between each other. If you want to use the standard gateway to refresh the data, you need to configure the data source after configuring the gateway, you can refer to this article:

Add or remove a gateway data source 

Manage your data source - Import/scheduled refresh 

Configure scheduled refresh 

Hope it helps,

Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @GA1993 ,

For ease of distinction, we usually refer to the other type of On-premises data gateway as On-premises data gateway (Standard mode).

There are different types of gateways, each for a different scenario:

On-premises data gateway: Allows multiple users to connect to multiple on-premises data sources. With a single gateway installation, you can use an on-premises data gateway with all supported services. This gateway is well-suited to complex scenarios in which multiple people access multiple data sources.

On-premises data gateway (personal mode): Allows one user to connect to sources and can’t be shared with others. An on-premises data gateway (personal mode) can be used only with Power BI. This gateway is well-suited to scenarios in which you’re the only person who creates reports, and you don't need to share any data sources with others.

For more,you could see:On-premises data gateway vs. on-premises data gateway (personal mode) 

They cannot migrate between each other. If you want to use the standard gateway to refresh the data, you need to configure the data source after configuring the gateway, you can refer to this article:

Add or remove a gateway data source 

Manage your data source - Import/scheduled refresh 

Configure scheduled refresh 

Hope it helps,

Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

There are no "public" gateways. What you would have to do is to install a standard gateway somewhere either in an on-prem server or in a cloud VM which has access to your on-prem network.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.