Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

triseid
Frequent Visitor

How to remove a parameter? (PowerBI Report Builder)

Hi,

I'm working in PowerBI Report Builder. Whenever I try to delete a parameter and then run my report, it says:

The Value expression for the query parameter ‘DeletedParameterName’ refers to a non-existing report parameter ‘DeletedParameterName’. Letters in the names of parameters must use the correct case.
----------------------------
The definition of the report '' is invalid.
An error occurred during local report processing.

Any advice on removing parameters in a clean fashion? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

There are actually 2 types of parameters in paginated reports. There are "Report level parameters" and there are "Query level parameters". Normally when you create a parameter in your data set the designer creates a matching report level parameter and links the query parameter with the report parameter. It sounds like you have just deleted the report parameter without removing the query level parameter. 

If you right click on your dataset, go into properties you will see a parameters tab. You need to also remove your parameter from there and remove any references in your query (if you have not removed these already). This should fix your parameter error.

For the the DeletedRow issue my suggestion would be to open the reports rdl file in a text editor and search for "DeletedRow" text and see if you can find the reference there. I would not suggest making any edits in a text editor, just use it to locate where the deleted object is referenced, then go into the designer and remove the references.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
triseid
Frequent Visitor

On a similar note, same issue with deleting rows in a group. After I delete a grouped row it says 

'The grouping ‘ExistingRow’ has ‘DeletedRow’ as a toggle item. Toggle items must be text boxes that share the same scope as the hidden item or are in a scope that contains the hidden item, and cannot be contained within the current report item unless current grouping scope has a Parent.
The definition of the report '' is invalid.
An error occurred during local report processing.

But when I look into properties, the 'toggle visibility' option is turned off. Cannot find mention of the deleted row anywhere. 

Thanks in advance!

There are actually 2 types of parameters in paginated reports. There are "Report level parameters" and there are "Query level parameters". Normally when you create a parameter in your data set the designer creates a matching report level parameter and links the query parameter with the report parameter. It sounds like you have just deleted the report parameter without removing the query level parameter. 

If you right click on your dataset, go into properties you will see a parameters tab. You need to also remove your parameter from there and remove any references in your query (if you have not removed these already). This should fix your parameter error.

For the the DeletedRow issue my suggestion would be to open the reports rdl file in a text editor and search for "DeletedRow" text and see if you can find the reference there. I would not suggest making any edits in a text editor, just use it to locate where the deleted object is referenced, then go into the designer and remove the references.

I had this same issue and the solution works but one thing that wasn't mentioned at least in my case ... was that the query-level parameter was hidden. I needed to right click the data set and show hidden data sets and there I found the parameters to delete.  

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.