Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can SSRS Report use Power BI dataset as a Shared Datasource?

I would like to know if I can publish an .rdl in Power BI Report Server that uses as it's data source a Power BI dataset in the cloud (premium capacity)?  Thanks 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

No this is not possible. Currently if you want to report on a dataset on premium capacity you need to also publish your rdl report on the power bi service.

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

Turns out you CAN connect to the XMLA endpoint in Power BI Premium as a shared datasource for SSRS/PBIRS on premise!!!  You just have to create a service principal account first (which I already did for PowerShell dataset refreshes.

CONNECTION STRING:

Data Source=powerbi://api.powerbi.com/v1.0/myorg/<<<WORKSPACE NAME>>>;initial catalog=<<<DATASET NAME>>>;User ID=app:<<<SERVICE PRINCIPAL APP ID>>>@<<<TENANT ID>>>;Password=<<<CLIENT SECRET>>>;

With this, I think there is officially nothing Power BI cannot do!!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
KBO
MVP

Hi @Anonymous ,

may be this link can also help: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Report-Server/Dataset-in-Power-BI-Report-Server/td-p/703186

with SSRS it is possible but I guess you like to use .pbix files as datasource, right?

Best,

Kathrin

If this post has helped you, please give it a thumbs up!
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

@KBO wrote:

Hi @Anonymous ,

may be this link can also help: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Report-Server/Dataset-in-Power-BI-Report-Server/td-p/703186

with SSRS it is possible but I guess you like to use .pbix files as datasource, right?

@KBO that link is for a different type of dataset, not for a Power BI Dataset stored on the Power BI Service which is what @Anonymous is asking about. 

d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

No this is not possible. Currently if you want to report on a dataset on premium capacity you need to also publish your rdl report on the power bi service.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@d_gosbell Thanks for the definitive answer...  I can live with that.  I like the more flexible subscription options in SSRS/PBIRS, so I guess I'll just reengineer my reports to hit the data warehouse directly instead of a PBIX in the cloud.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Turns out you CAN connect to the XMLA endpoint in Power BI Premium as a shared datasource for SSRS/PBIRS on premise!!!  You just have to create a service principal account first (which I already did for PowerShell dataset refreshes.

CONNECTION STRING:

Data Source=powerbi://api.powerbi.com/v1.0/myorg/<<<WORKSPACE NAME>>>;initial catalog=<<<DATASET NAME>>>;User ID=app:<<<SERVICE PRINCIPAL APP ID>>>@<<<TENANT ID>>>;Password=<<<CLIENT SECRET>>>;

With this, I think there is officially nothing Power BI cannot do!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors