Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RobertXiong
Helper I
Helper I

An error occurred when attempting to save the report to Power BI Report Server

Recently I downloaded the Newer Power BI Desktop (RS) (Version: 2.112.1421.0 32-bit (January, 2023)) and Power BI Report Server (on-premise) (Version1.15.8377.1837(September 2022)) , the both softwares are from same downloading page, they both supposed to be compatible each other. 

I opened reports with this new Power BI Desktop and modified and saved to local folder, that's no problem, but when I saved as to report server, the error message popup as below

RobertXiong_0-1683733116852.png

so I opened the report server log file RSPortal_2023_05_10_10_34_01 

I found this message "2023-05-10 11:24:31.5902|ERROR|122|library|Throwing Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.ItemNotFoundException: , Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.ItemNotFoundException: The item '/ReportTest/PowerBIRS-ParkingProcessPayment' cannot be found.;| RequestID = s_42ce677a-1b96-4858-b1a5-d03b608fb862" 

who knows how I can solve this problem?

Thanks in advanced.

Robert

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

You cannot use a newer version of Desktop with an older version of the Server. The server will not understand a new file format that has changed since it was compiled. You can use older versions of desktop with a newer server, but not the other way around.

You need to use a version of Desktop that is the same or older than the server version.

You may be able to recover your existing report using one of the techniques in this post Power BI Report Server – fixing “Can’t upload this report” – Random Procrastination (gosbell.com)

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
RobertXiong
Helper I
Helper I

Thanks a lot, I downloaded desktop and report server software again and made sure they were compatible, right now it works.

d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

You cannot use a newer version of Desktop with an older version of the Server. The server will not understand a new file format that has changed since it was compiled. You can use older versions of desktop with a newer server, but not the other way around.

You need to use a version of Desktop that is the same or older than the server version.

You may be able to recover your existing report using one of the techniques in this post Power BI Report Server – fixing “Can’t upload this report” – Random Procrastination (gosbell.com)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.