Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

KLewisTogether
Frequent Visitor

API connections in two steps no longer working

Hi,

I've several reports that connect to third party sources using private API's - as they have daily exports of the current data, I wrote queries to connect to the API to get the list of exports, then take that answer and put it in to another version of the same API, giving me the information from the correct export.

All of them have stopped working with the Jan 2021 update of report server - they will refresh correctly in the desktop but scheduled refreshes fail with the generic error:

COM error: Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.ASEngineManagedRoot, The given data source kind is not supported. Data source kind: UnknownCallsite..

One of the reports is still refreshing but when I copy that query into a new blank report, that fails it's test scheduled refresh with the same error.

Does anyone know why this is or if there is a work around?

My queries all work roughly the same way (I have put the second call in a calculated column/function, as well)

let
Source = Json.Document(Web.Contents("[API LINK]/[source identifier]/exports?api_token=[TOKEN]&api_token_secret=[SECRET]")),
Source1 = Source{1},
#"Converted to Table" = Record.ToTable(Source1),
Value1 = #"Converted to Table"{11}[Value], //this value is the api link for the latest export
Source2 = Csv.Document(Web.Contents(Value1 & "?api_token=[TOKEN]" & "&api_token_secret=[SECRET]"),[Delimiter=","]),
#"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(Source2, [PromoteAllScalars=true]),

...[REST OF QUERY]...

6 REPLIES 6
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Is the second link (Value1) an extension of the primary link ([API LINK]) (ie is it the same base URL) or does it go to a differently structured URL?

If the former try using RelativePath.

V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@KLewisTogether 
Please the veryfy the below restrictions for the datasources.

Datasets - Update Datasources In Group (Power BI Power BI REST APIs) | Microsoft Docs

V-pazhen-msft_0-1616984137199.png

Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team
If this post helps, please Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @V-pazhen-msft, thanks for the help but I'm not using the PowerBI API, it's not about sending requests to the PBI service.  I'm using a third party's API as a source of data in the PowerBI desktop app. 

@KLewisTogetherwere you able to solve your problem? I am experiencing the same issue.

Have you updated to the latest version of report server?

Yes, I did. Running May 2021 now.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.