Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jsteele58
Frequent Visitor

dynamics full data set

I'm new to power BI and have managed to connect power bi desktop to dynamics (CRM online 2015) using the odata connection. However, it does not look like it brings in all the tables from dynamics. Is that correct? Does it only bring in a certain selection? Is it based on anything in the settings within CRM?

What is the difference between using the services to connect (sales, marketing, service) rather than just connecting to dynamics? I'm assuming that the difference is the service packs come with prebuilt reports. 

Thanks. The tool looks great and I think my organisation will love it. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @jsteele58,

What tables do you miss in Power BI Desktop? Based on my research, Power BI Desktop doesn’t display Dynamics CRM saved queries such as System-Defined Views or User Queries in Navigator panel, for more details, please check the discussion in this similar thread.

In addition, Microsoft Dynamics CRM Online content packs for Power BI provides you prebuilt dashboards and reports. And there are some limitations when connecting Microsoft Dynamics CRM Online content packs from Power BI Service. For example, this content pack requires Microsoft Dynamics CRM Online 2016 or later, data retrieved from CRM entities are limited. For more details, please review this article: Microsoft Dynamics CRM content pack for Power BI. When connecting to Microsoft Dynamics CRM from Power BI Desktop, you are able to work with earlier versions of CRM Online. Moreover, you would need to create reports by yourself, and you can upload Power BI Desktop file to Power BI Service, then create dashboards for your custom CRM reports.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @jsteele58,

What tables do you miss in Power BI Desktop? Based on my research, Power BI Desktop doesn’t display Dynamics CRM saved queries such as System-Defined Views or User Queries in Navigator panel, for more details, please check the discussion in this similar thread.

In addition, Microsoft Dynamics CRM Online content packs for Power BI provides you prebuilt dashboards and reports. And there are some limitations when connecting Microsoft Dynamics CRM Online content packs from Power BI Service. For example, this content pack requires Microsoft Dynamics CRM Online 2016 or later, data retrieved from CRM entities are limited. For more details, please review this article: Microsoft Dynamics CRM content pack for Power BI. When connecting to Microsoft Dynamics CRM from Power BI Desktop, you are able to work with earlier versions of CRM Online. Moreover, you would need to create reports by yourself, and you can upload Power BI Desktop file to Power BI Service, then create dashboards for your custom CRM reports.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you Lydia. That makes sense about the service packs as I can't currently connect to them as I am using CRM online 2015.

Regarding the missing tables. I thought I was missing the orders tables and orders products table but then realised that in the schema they are referred to as sales orders and sales orders details. I thought perhaps that Power BI only brought through a limited set but it does appear to be bringing all tables in.

Thank you. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors