Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Kinga99
Helper II
Helper II

WBS issue in Power Query - cannot change type to text

Hi everyone,

I have to do some analysis on the scheduele and I'm having trouble with the WBS column. When I import the csv (or excel), this column has a data type 'Any'. I noticed that majority of the values are on the left, but some are strangely moved to the right of the column. When I try to change type of that column to text (to preserve the structure of the string of numbers), PowerQuery changes some values. Upon loading to model, this causes errors. Not to mention that if I filter the errors out, I loose critical data.

Kinga99_0-1633614704349.png

This is after changing the column to text. Same result if I create a custom column and use the function Text.From([WBS]).

Kinga99_1-1633614773182.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-kelly-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @Kinga99 ,

Yes,if you directly change the type to text or use Text.From,you will get a result as below:

vkellymsft_0-1633936884597.png

You could try to take below steps:

Click "Add column">"Column From examples">Using below format:

vkellymsft_1-1633936990349.png

And you will see:

vkellymsft_2-1633937023509.png

For my sample .pbix file,pls see attahched.

Best Regards,
Kelly

Did I answer your question? Mark my reply as a solution!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-kelly-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @Kinga99 ,

Yes,if you directly change the type to text or use Text.From,you will get a result as below:

vkellymsft_0-1633936884597.png

You could try to take below steps:

Click "Add column">"Column From examples">Using below format:

vkellymsft_1-1633936990349.png

And you will see:

vkellymsft_2-1633937023509.png

For my sample .pbix file,pls see attahched.

Best Regards,
Kelly

Did I answer your question? Mark my reply as a solution!

ronrsnfld
Super User
Super User

I suspect that, on the Excel worksheet, the contents of row 2 is the result of a formula and not merely entered into the table as 17.1   Because of how Excel computes and stores fractional values, that is likely how the value is stored in Excel.  Hence the conversion you see in PQ.

How are those values actually generated in Excel?

edhans
Super User
Super User

Without sample data it is hard to say, but make sure that no previous step automatically added any Change Type steps for that column. For example, by default, Excel will apply a type, even if it is the Any type.

edhans_0-1633621113280.png

Look for any previous Changed Type steps and remove it from that column, or manually change "any" to "text" early on.

Otherwise, post some data.

How to get good help fast. Help us help you.

How To Ask A Technical Question If you Really Want An Answer

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly - Give us a good and concise explanation
How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum - Provide data in a table format per the link, or share an Excel/CSV file via OneDrive, Dropbox, etc.. Provide expected output using a screenshot of Excel or other image. Do not provide a screenshot of the source data. I cannot paste an image into Power BI tables.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

Hi, thank you for responding,

Per your instructions, I edited the type from any to 'text' at the very beginning, but the same problem occurs. I opened the excel file, and  noticed that all columns are 'General' data type. When I changed the type to text (in Excel) the numbers that appear on the right side in that column, jumped to the left. I think the root of the problem is in Excel and how that date transfers to PBI. I would upload a sample, but I don't see an option for attachments!

Kinga99_0-1633702515196.png

See instructions below on sharing data.

How to get good help fast. Help us help you.

How To Ask A Technical Question If you Really Want An Answer

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly - Give us a good and concise explanation
How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum - Provide data in a table format per the link, or share an Excel/CSV file via OneDrive, Dropbox, etc.. Provide expected output using a screenshot of Excel or other image. Do not provide a screenshot of the source data. I cannot paste an image into Power BI tables.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors