Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RitaPT
Frequent Visitor

Update data model from Power Pivot

I built a data model in Power Pivots and after I imported to Power BI. Next I made reports and dashboards and I shared with my clients. Everything was ok but with the time we understood that I need to put more information in model and changed somethings in my data model.

I did this in PowerPivot because I need this framework to do some analyses. Then, I update the Power BI and it didn’t update the new data model and the new tables. I read some posts more and less with the same problem. I would like to know if Power BI developed something to solve this?

I have a lot of work done in PowerPivot and it is hard to repeat in Power BI. On the other hand, I have a lot of reports and

dashboards, it seems crazy to have to build it all over again.

And the worst thing, it is think that everytime that I need to change something I have to made in two frameworks, Power BI and Power Pivots.

Thanks all.

Best regards,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @RitaPT,

Do you import the Excel workbook that contains Power Pivot model into Power BI Service?

If so, according to this article, when you refresh a dataset created from an Excel workbook imported from a local drive, only the data queried from data sources is refreshed. If you change the structure of the data model in Excel or Power Pivot, you’ll need to re-upload the workbook. If you expect to make regular changes to the structure of your workbook and you want those to be reflected in the dataset in Power BI without having to re-upload, consider putting your workbook on OneDrive. And if you connect to external data sources in Power Pivot, a gateway is required in order to refresh your dataset.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @RitaPT,

When using gateway, Power BI pro license is required.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @RitaPT,

Do you import the Excel workbook that contains Power Pivot model into Power BI Service?

If so, according to this article, when you refresh a dataset created from an Excel workbook imported from a local drive, only the data queried from data sources is refreshed. If you change the structure of the data model in Excel or Power Pivot, you’ll need to re-upload the workbook. If you expect to make regular changes to the structure of your workbook and you want those to be reflected in the dataset in Power BI without having to re-upload, consider putting your workbook on OneDrive. And if you connect to external data sources in Power Pivot, a gateway is required in order to refresh your dataset.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Hi,

I have a follow-up question regarding this problem. Has microsoft developed another alternative to this problem in the meantime? I have speed and security concerns uploading and using the data from OneDrive and was wondering if there is a new Solution, so that local Files (a local PowerPivot Model) can also be used?

Thank you and all the best,

Roland

Thanks a lot @v-yuezhe-msft. I made a test with OneDrive as you mention and it update my data model.
Your help was very helpful.

@RitaPT,

Please help to mark my reply as answer if it solves your issue. That way, other community members would easily find the solution when they get same issues.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Excuse me, one more questions. Do you know if this option is only available to Power BI Pro or also for Free Power BI?

Thanks.

RitaPT
Frequent Visitor

I built a data model in Power Pivots and after I imported to Power BI. Next I made reports and dashboards and I shared with my clients. Everything was ok but with the time I understood that I need to put more information in model and changed somethings in my data model. I did this in PowerPivot because I need this framework to do some analyses. Then, I update the Power BI and it didn’t update the new data model and the new tables. I read some posts more and less with the same problem. I would like to know if Power BI developed something to solution this?

I have a lot of work done in PowerPivot and it is hard to repeat in Power BI. On the other hand, I have a lot of reports and dashboards, it seems crazy to have to build it all over again.

And the worst thing, it is think that everytime that I need to change something I have to made in two frameworks, Power BI and Power Pivots.

Thanks all.

Best regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors